I've read many Bible tracts over the years that talk about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Even when I was going to church, trying to convince myself that I believed that Jesus was Lord, I didn't understand that phrase. What does it even mean ? You're not face-to-face with Jesus. You don't carry on a back and forth conversation. I'm sure that people who are psychotic but not aware they are so have personal relationships with their hallucinated friends or angels. What does it even mean to have a personal relationship with Jesus. It seems a lot like having a personal relationship with Superman or Batman.

Tags: Jesus, Personal, Relationship

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Typical male behavior.

Come on, there must be lots of people on this site who at one time did conceive of themselves as having a personal relationship with Jesus, and they can tell you what they meant by that. 

It's true, it's hard to imagine that the sense of presence that they dialogue with, has definite personal attributes.

Does the risen Christ have BO?  The original probably did :)

BO? No doubt. One description (which I might is apocryphal) from Falvius Joephus is

a man of simple appearance, mature age, small stature, three cubits high, hunchbacked, with a long face, long nose, and meeting eyebrows, so that they who see him might be affrighted, with scanty hair (but) with a parting in the middle of his head, after the manner of the Nazirites, and with an undeveloped beard. 

Brad Pitt he's not!

And his personality idealized even more than his appearance. 

The desert people wear those flowing robes in lieu of baths ...

I don't think that's an accurate description.  It's nothing like the pictures I've seen.  Probably  Flavius J probably just had a grudge.

A lot of good answers here. And a lot of them are hilarious lol.

I'v always wanted to be asked "Have you found Jesus" to which I would answer "No I didn't know he was lost and besides no one told me to watch him".

I think male Xians should be careful when having personal relations with Jesus... his daddy doesn't look too highly on that sort of thing.

In my church going days I thought this was a valid question. The reality of a "personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is absurd! It's impossible. You cannot have a personal relationship with anybody that you have not met. Ad the fact that he is now dead, and it gets more impossible. You never knew him, today or 2000 years ago. Oh, I see. He's alive and risen. He's now in Heaven. Well, you still have never met him and didn't know him, so we are back to where we started. It's impossible. Oh, I get it. The Bible is his "letters to you" so if you bow your head and start talking to yourself, you can "invite him into your heart." That makes sense. It is possible to know someone (a little bit) through letters. How does someone live in your heart? Why can't I invite him into my kidneys? Isn't that what knowing it "in my reins" means? Yes, I know it all through my seat of emotions, and I have been brainwashed since I was a child.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
8 minutes ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
4 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
4 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service