Did anyone hear the short blurb on NPR Morning Edition today about the Austrian atheist who won the right to wear a spaghetti strainer on his head for his driver's license photo?

It seems that you can't wear a hat in your ID photo UNLESS it's religious paraphernalia, and he was able to make the point that he's a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Coincidentally, as the leader of the FSM group in Portland, I've been asked to become formally ordained so that I can put my imprimatur on secular wedding licenses.

Tags: Flying, Monster, Spaghetti

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As an avowed pastafarian myself I do feel that his particular choice of headgear is not... to borrow from another religion, "Kosher."  I feel that, when in a pinch, a colander will do, we all know pirates are the Chosen People of His High Noodliness, and therefore a more appropriate display would have obviously been a pirate hat. 

I do concede that not every land-lubber has ready access to such noble headgear and a colander is an obvious second choice, but I worry about the president this sets for future Pastafarian headgear in Australian Drivers license photos.  Will they also accept a tri-corner hat with feathers and other piratical adornments or will they restrict to colanders only??

Me too! I couldn't sleep last night, worrying about whether Austrian Pastifarians will be forced into orthodox headgear.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

If only this had taken place sooner, so I could attempt the same thing in the U.S. After all, you can't allow scientology and deny His Noodliness. XD

A Pastafarian in the U.S. has found success as well! Texas Tech student Eddie Castillo won his fight to be photographed for his driver's license with a colander -- though "DPS officials are reportedly planning to follow up with Castillo in order to 'rectify' the situation."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/26/texas-pastafarian-license-...

I bet that strained the relationship with the Austrian DMV.

MB

Yeah, I hope he didn't find himself in hot water.

Eddie Castillo?  I heard his name was Al Dente. 

A few days ago, Christopher Schaeffer was sworn in as a member of the Pomfret, NY Town Board -- wearing "holey" Pastafarian headgear:

(photo by Greg Fox, The Observer, Dunkirk, NY)

Hemant Mehta of Friendly Atheist interviewed him -- worth a read!

To other Pastafarians I say follow your heart, and remember “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” — Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

[...]

There was another guy who got elected, too. They didn’t put his picture in paper at all. He worked just as hard to get that job as I did. I thought that was disrespectful to him. But I’m not the editor of a newspaper and I’m not trying to sell copy.

[...]
I do not ask that you accept the beliefs of my religion, I do ask you to treat it with the same dignity and respect that I treat yours. I will not apologize for the beliefs and customs of my religion. Even though my religion is satirical, that does not make it any less valid than any other.

we had a festivus pol of beer ? cans at state capital in sunny florida.. haaaa
manger was looking sketch pfffft!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service