Did anyone hear the short blurb on NPR Morning Edition today about the Austrian atheist who won the right to wear a spaghetti strainer on his head for his driver's license photo?

It seems that you can't wear a hat in your ID photo UNLESS it's religious paraphernalia, and he was able to make the point that he's a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Coincidentally, as the leader of the FSM group in Portland, I've been asked to become formally ordained so that I can put my imprimatur on secular wedding licenses.

Tags: Flying, Monster, Spaghetti

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As an avowed pastafarian myself I do feel that his particular choice of headgear is not... to borrow from another religion, "Kosher."  I feel that, when in a pinch, a colander will do, we all know pirates are the Chosen People of His High Noodliness, and therefore a more appropriate display would have obviously been a pirate hat. 

I do concede that not every land-lubber has ready access to such noble headgear and a colander is an obvious second choice, but I worry about the president this sets for future Pastafarian headgear in Australian Drivers license photos.  Will they also accept a tri-corner hat with feathers and other piratical adornments or will they restrict to colanders only??

Me too! I couldn't sleep last night, worrying about whether Austrian Pastifarians will be forced into orthodox headgear.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

If only this had taken place sooner, so I could attempt the same thing in the U.S. After all, you can't allow scientology and deny His Noodliness. XD

A Pastafarian in the U.S. has found success as well! Texas Tech student Eddie Castillo won his fight to be photographed for his driver's license with a colander -- though "DPS officials are reportedly planning to follow up with Castillo in order to 'rectify' the situation."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/26/texas-pastafarian-license-...

I bet that strained the relationship with the Austrian DMV.

MB

Yeah, I hope he didn't find himself in hot water.

Eddie Castillo?  I heard his name was Al Dente. 

A few days ago, Christopher Schaeffer was sworn in as a member of the Pomfret, NY Town Board -- wearing "holey" Pastafarian headgear:

(photo by Greg Fox, The Observer, Dunkirk, NY)

Hemant Mehta of Friendly Atheist interviewed him -- worth a read!

To other Pastafarians I say follow your heart, and remember “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” — Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

[...]

There was another guy who got elected, too. They didn’t put his picture in paper at all. He worked just as hard to get that job as I did. I thought that was disrespectful to him. But I’m not the editor of a newspaper and I’m not trying to sell copy.

[...]
I do not ask that you accept the beliefs of my religion, I do ask you to treat it with the same dignity and respect that I treat yours. I will not apologize for the beliefs and customs of my religion. Even though my religion is satirical, that does not make it any less valid than any other.

we had a festivus pol of beer ? cans at state capital in sunny florida.. haaaa
manger was looking sketch pfffft!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service