It seems like we hear about bullying and cyberbullying in schools a lot more these days, but one case is hitting close to home because it ended with the death of a 13-year-old boy.

Asher Brown's parents believe the eighth grader was bullied to death, and they claim his school and the Cypress-Fairbanks school district did nothing to stop it.

The 13-year-old's parents claim that the bullying went on for two years, ever since he got to the middle school. They claim that during that time, they had gone to complain to coaches, an assistant principal and anyone who would listen. They say nothing was ever done.

Now some other parents have come forward, seemingly supporting that claim.

"I told him I loved him and I hoped he had a good day," said Amy Truong, parent of Asher Brown. "He said, 'I love you too.' He seemed fine."

Just a few short painful days after their son, Asher Brown, took his own life, there are questions whether people at his school did enough to protect him.

"We never had any indication that those children were disciplined at all," said Amy.

She and her husband David Truong claim Asher was bullied to death, taunted by other students at Hamilton Junior High School. They say he was ridiculed over his appearance, his religion and his sexual orientation.

This is an important human rights issue. This Child was bullied because he was buddhist and gay.

Here's the link to the full story. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7695982 

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

When chickens notice a difference in a fellow chicken, they will peck and claw it to death because of that difference.

I have 5 hens. Two are black, two are red (actually brown) and one is white. The White one is a couple of months older, and even though smaller, gets her own way when it comes to being the first to be fed. Overall she's pretty mellow and stays out of the henyard politics, for the most part. The Red ones stick together. They are smaller and younger than the black ones, but dominate them and chase them away from any treats that I provide. The black ones are timid and let the Red ones dominate them. They get along fine with the white one, and sometimes spend time with her or vice versa, but usually stick to themselves.

If I give them a plate of bread chunks, a red hen will grab a chunk and run off to eat it. The other chickens then chase after her, even though there is still a pile of bread chunks in the plate, accessible to all. Even the black hens don't go for the plate, they just sit and watch the aggressive red one eat her bread chunk.

My partner says the chickens are racist because they self-segregate by color. They do that when roosting too. The red ones get the prime roosting locations, while the black ones get what's left over. I think it's more temperament, and the red ones are bullies.

I've learned a lot about workplace politics by watching these chickens. They are a metaphor for office politics.

I've added new chickens to this little work group many times. Different ages, breeds, and sizes. I've never seen any pecking and clawing to death. However, Jerzy Kosinski's "Painted Bird" dues use a similar metaphor.
Wow, yeah, you had some brilliant bullies. Yes, let's pick on the bigger kids.
My heart goes out to all of these kids and their families. A lot of us here seem to have a history of having been bullied. Me too. I walked special routes to school to avoid bullies. I kept to myself. I spent many hours in the library. I want through a period of self destructive behavior. Then I joined the army. That was during the Vietnam era, and there was an aspect of self destructiveness in my actions, although it was more complicated than that. For some reason, it got much better then. I didn't wind up going to Vietnam, thought. The US got out and Saigon fell to the North while I was in boot camp. That wasn't my fault, however.

Maybe having been an outcast is a risk factor for becomiung atheist. Not a requirement though, I've seen atheists bully others as well.

There have been a number of youth suicides in the news lately. I don't know if it's new, or becoming better known. I do like that the bullies are undergoing some major criticism now, such as on facebook. It might help make them reconsider their style.
I heard a story about my dad recently and I thought the other individual was pathetic. My dad was ruthlessly bullied as a teenager. One day, he got into with one of his bullies and the coach sent them to the rink in boxing gloves. In one punch, my dad TKOed the guy.

Okay, this happed in the 50s. Fast forward to last summer. My dad sees his tormentor at their high school reunion almost 50 years later. The guy confronts my dad on punching him back in the 50s and he is still upset about it. My dad apologizes, but the guy never apologizes for bullying my dad.

Rewind to my high school years in the early 80s. We lived in the same town and went to the same church with the bully's family. Three of the bully's four kids were my friends. Once we went to the bully's house and the bully's bully wife showed us all the spots where they had broken the walls in their home throwing their gay son against the walls. This was an old plaster and slat house not walls made of plasterboard, so you can imagine the force this took. I felt so sorry for R. I thought his parents were beating him for being bad at sports and enjoying cooking and having only girls for friends. I didn't know what gay was then.

I feel some anger towards this bully for beating his own son like that who is much smaller than him and then holding a 50 year grudge against my dad for beating him in a fair fight. Just goes to show, some people never change.

And his son R ended up just fine. He left his abusive home and had a nice life the last I heard.
If the guy held a 50-year grudge for losing a fight in school, he's still a loser.
Especially a fair fight in a boxing ring with safety equipment. 67 years old and he still hasn't grown up. *loser*

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Pat replied to Loren Miller's discussion Anti-Islam ads coming to NYC buses, subways (CBS News) in the group Atheist News
16 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
20 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
37 minutes ago
Joseph Corder replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
59 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to MattyLJ's discussion Moving to Florida
1 hour ago
Joseph Corder posted photos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
2 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
2 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service