The full article is at www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Foster-parent-ban-no-place-in-the-law-for- Christianity-High-Court-rules.html

Abbreviated extracts follow:

There is no place in British law for Christian beliefs, despite this country’s long history of religious observance and the traditions of the established Church, two High Court judges said . . .  Lord Justice Munby and Mr Justice Beatson made the remarks when ruling on the case of a Christian couple who were told that they could not be foster carers because of their view that homosexuality is wrong . . .

The judges underlined that, in the case of fostering arrangements at least, the right of homosexuals to equality “should take precedence” over the right of Christians to manifest their beliefs and moral values. In a ruling with potentially wide-ranging implications, the judges said Britain was a “largely secular”, multi-cultural country in which the laws of the realm “do not include Christianity” . . .

The ruling in the case of Owen and Eunice Johns . . .  is the latest in a series of judgments in which Christians have been defeated in the courts for breaching equality laws by manifesting their beliefs on homosexuality. In their ruling, the judges complained that it was not yet “well understood” that British society was largely secular and that the law has no place for Christianity. “Although historically this country is part of the Christian West, and although it has an established church which is Christian, there have been enormous changes in the social and religious life of our country over the last century.”  . . .

The Rt Rev Michael Nazir-Ali, the former bishop of Rochester, described the judgment as “absurd”. . . . “To say that this is a secular country is certainly wrong . . . However, what really worries me about this spate of judgments is that they leave no room for the conscience of believers of whatever kind. This will exclude Christians, Muslims and Orthodox Jews from whole swaths of public life, including adoption and fostering.”

Speaking personally, Canon Dr Chris Sugden, the executive secretary of Anglican Mainstream, said the judges were wrong to say religion was a matter of private individuals’ beliefs: The judges "are treating religion like Richard Dawkins does, as if Christian faith was on a parallel with Melanesian frog worship. . . . 

What is being done in the U.S. on such matters?

Tags: Melanesian frog worship, Secular Britain, fostering, homosexual laws

Views: 125

Replies to This Discussion

no worries man.....just licked a toad and Im feelin ...........heavenly...........LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I just like saying "holy crap" in a george carlin kind of way.

;)

Ummm....  Somebody grab the white lab coats and a butterfly net and lets go visit Matt...

I've got some bondage tape, but no butterfly net.  Sorry.

*looks around*

What?

Crap to one person is another's treasure!!!

Here is a happy-looking fat and contented god from Melanesia:

I wonder if the cleric Dr. Sugden would like to be treated to this one. 

The judges "are treating religion like Richard Dawkins does, as if Christian faith was on a parallel with Melanesian frog worship. . . .
As it should be.....for all religions and worship of nonsense.  I don't know anything about Melanesian frog worship so I'll reserve judgment of this until I've done some reasoned research.

I have had this on my website for years....called it "the anitomical frog"

never knew what it meant ...until now!

the father....son....and the toad in the hole.

;)

LOL!!

Brilliant!

One thing they forgot to mention.... Melanesians can prove the existence of frogs!!

Yes, the red-eyed tree frog-god really exists, which is more than can be said for the christian god of judaic fiction.

Red-eyed tree frog, yes. They're actually fairly common here in Costa Rica (or at least they were until the chytrid fungus pandemic wiped out most of them). 

Not so sure about that god thing, though.  They're certainly not worshiped here.  Except maybe by the tourism ministry and the eco-lodge owners.

Do any of the aboriginal natives fry and eat them instead, then? 

Or at least the legs, as in Europe. 

I just Asked Jeeves. I kid you not. 

"French people eat frogs’ legs. Consumption of frogs' legs in France totals 3000 to 4000 tons per year (60 to 80 million frogs). . .  if cooked correctly, they are delicious, having a delicate flavor tasting somewhere between chicken and fish. Frogs' legs are one of the better-known delicacies of French and Cantonese cuisine."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Officially Launches; David Silverman Criticizes History Channel for Presenting Bible as History in the group Atheist News
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Here are the highlights of Justice Ginsburg’s fiery Hobby Lobby dissent
7 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion ‘There are no wild cows’: Neil deGrasse Tyson slams ‘fear factor’ over GMOs
9 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Joan Denoo's discussion The cost of masculine crime
30 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Eat vegetables, Be happy
30 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Methane, more scary than we thought in the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
38 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Officially Launches; David Silverman Criticizes History Channel for Presenting Bible as History in the group Atheist News
47 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
59 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Abnormal Arctic in the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Here are the highlights of Justice Ginsburg’s fiery Hobby Lobby dissent
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service