ORIGIN OF ATHEIST PRIDE

We have everything to be proud about when declaring our atheism.

Above all, this is because we hold the intellectual high ground in being RIGHT.

Atheism is the rational and only correct way to observe and interpret Life and the Universe.

By contrast, the religious pitifully prostrate themselves at the level of the intellectual low ground because—often through little initial fault of their own, having been indoctrinated when young—they are not aware that religion is the mistaken, indeed bogus, way with which to regard the universe and its splendorous life.

Atheism is not a belief. It is the default situation into which every innocent is born.

Religion is something imposed on children’s initially-free mentality by the perverse will of elders, whether parents, school, church, synagogue or mosque.

One does not need to be a scientist to understand and agree to the atheistic viewpoint. What is needed is commonsense and a readiness to accept the results of what millions of elite scientists have discovered during the course of their hundreds of millions of experiments, particularly those carried out in the last two centuries.

The world can be proud of the history of its scientific achievements, all of which steadfastly point to an ancient universe and a neo-Darwinian interpretation of the story of Life and Humanity.

Sadly, we accept that most religionists will never give in. Their prejudiced minds are made up. They will not absorb knowledge that is new to them.

Just as we loudly proclaim our atheistic world view, we can look at the religious with pity as they humble themselves and grovel before their imaginary gods that exist nowhere but inside their heads.

Tags: atheism, atheist pride, commonsense, intelligence, life, religion, universe

Views: 888

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you. My mother is an apologist, but also holds a PhD in psychometrics. She's incredibly intelligent but is scared of life without the certainty of heaven, grace, forgiveness, etc.
My problem with people who admit to being religious is that they have conclusively proved their inability to think straight. How am I then going to have any faith in anything else they have to say? Especially on any topic I am not particularly familiar with.

I read several of Rodney Stark's books on religion thinking they were quite interesting. It wasn't until I came across a chapter in one of his books which was full of creationist ravings about evolution and scientists in general that I realized that the man was not to be relied upon. It was a profound shock I can tell, you to read this rubbish which could have come straight from Duane Gish in the writings of a bloke whom I had respected. Especially as his was a field I was not familiar with, and I was not in a position to be confident of my ability to spot nonsense.

I am fortunate in being Australian, while we do have the odd religious type they are very much in the minority, but whenever I meet one I am always conscious of wondering what is the matter with them.
In writing "My problem with people who admit to being religious is that they have conclusively proved their inability to think straight", Janet makes a good point as regards their ability to make sound judgements in many other matters too. This is especially important for local and national government.

It is so sad that Earth's greatest evolutionary success is afflicted thus.

How long will it be before the world's majority become atheist, and the religious get to be universally recognised for the aberrants that they are?
One of the smartest people I have known was a Christian. He was a superb physicist and and hard-nosed scientist, but he also had a belief in a deity, and a specifically Christian deity at that. I was hoping that he could become my PhD adviser in physics, but he developed cancer and died. I regret that I never had a deep conversation about his religious beliefs with him. After he died, a number of stories came out about how he had helped people around him (including giving the money for an airplane ticket to another country so a cafeteria worker could see her dying mother). He was a good, intelligent, thoughtful man who believed. I simply don't know how.
"Metaphysics" means, literally, "outside of Physics." The concept of a god belongs there, outside of Physics. The physicist you described seems to have had one foot inside Physics and the other, "out," elsewhere, apparently in the spiritual realm, the realm of gods and spirits and souls. To be really good in Physics---that is, to stretch its horizon further than when you first found it---you have to have both your feet in, not to mention your head and heart and everything else required for you to get a glimpse of "God's thoughts" (metaphor used by Einstein, a superb physicist and atheist). The physicist you described was a gifted saint, who found time to help others and who probably would have made an excellent and very sympathetic and inspiring high school physics teacher. A "hard-nosed scientist" he just was not.
this is exactly what i've been thinking for years. i may be young, but i have many opinions, especially on religious beliefs. my family is christian, but i never believed in "God".

People always look down on me because of this. but what they belive in makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Monica,
You should be proud of the fact that you are thinking for yourself, and setting your own course in life. It will serve you well! If people are going to look down on you for disagreeing with them, it's sad, but they are the ones who are being dumb.
When I was in high school. People looked at me like a grew a second head when I told them I was an atheist.
I must admit that my pride borders on arrogance.
My biggest source of pride falls into the realm of being here waiting for the world to catch up.
I've been an "out" atheist for most of my life, and am thrilled beyond belief(giggle) to see so many coming out after all these years.
Thank you all so much for making me feel like part of a community after all this time. I needed that.
Thank you Terence, it is very refreshing to read a thread which is positive about being atheist, about remembering to feel pride in our liberation. So often I have been involved in debates and illogical mud slinging and this discussion has given me food for thought about my approach to the religious.

Maybe I just ought to lighten up a bit and be a bit more conciliatory, but it is hard when I see my kids being indoctrinated at school, their friends in the grip of their families habitual religious belief and see the damage done on a daily basis to humanity by religion - it makes me angry and that sometimes gets in the way of effective communication.

I have to say I love being on AN - whereever I turn there are positive sentiments and a real sense of unity and pride. What an awesome place :)

BTW I also think that the idea of Atheist Pride in the same sense as Gay Pride as a movement may well be worth pursuing as a very public protest - peaceful, well informed but universally positive. Thing is no doubt the irate irrationalists would barrak us from the side lines and go home feeling they had done Gods work and reserved themselves a little piece of Heaven. However a very public show of unity for our point of view may well not be too far around the corner.

Greg
Thank you Greg for these positive comments on such a major matter.

Indeed, everyone has been commenting usefully in their various ways.

The short of is that atheists have everything to be proud about, and nothing to be ashamed of, while nonetheless needing to avoid the appearance of arrogance. It would help too if more of us would succeed in reaching positions of influence. It is time that a mighty bandwagon was set rolling.
Am I a proud atheist? I am proud to admit my ignorance about the origins of the universe. We have not come up with all the answers to how all life came to be and I am uncertain whether those answers will come to me during my lifetime. But I cannot succumb to simplistic explanations of an "instant" universe created by some mythical being designed by man to placate my ignorant soul. Am I a proud atheist? Perhaps. You decide.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service