Organize or die. It may just save your life. Literally.

In the wake of the massive tragedy in Norway, I implore all my atheist friends here to join the National Atheist Party. Your life may one day depend on it.
Anders Breivik may be just one motivated theocrat in another country, but it's not like we haven't seen this before.
I was there, in Oklahoma working as a news director at a radio station, when Tim McVeigh blew up the Murrah Federal Building. I saw the bodies. I reported on the aftermath for months. It can happen again.
And that is not the only threat to our collective well being. We have this looney teabag movement that carries guns to political events. They're controlled by the religious right, who act as gatekeepers to keep out anyone who threaten their agenda.
Then there's Bachmann, Perry, Cain, and even Roy Moore, the 10 commandments judge from Alabama, all running for president.
This may just seem like a healthy exercise of democracy (kind of), but when they lose, they're gonna be pissed
What's more, the nutjobs like Breivik & McVeigh, and even the non murderous ones in the tea party, feel they are morally sanctioned to impose their silly ass fairy tale book on all of humanity.
They will not stop until they win or are soundly defeated.
This is why I joined the National Atheist Party, and ask you to do the same.
Organize or die. There is no third choice.

Tags: Atheist, McVeigh, National, Norway, Party, massacre, politics, religious, right

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't. But you knew that.
Personally, I think it's kind of cruel to ask people to come out as atheist and not have some sort of defense mechanism to deal with the political realities of being an atheist.
Then what will, Susan? What are you looking for? What would make the party more appealing to you?
I mean, we should be listening to people like you and address the issues you care about. Being responsive to peoples' needs is what we want to do.
Telling people "Organize of Die"  and being hyperbolic is not going to make you cause look worthwhile.  You will look like a bunch of chicken little's instead.  If you want people to join, especially rational people, you have to be rational.  Plus, calling it an atheist party wont do you any good either because, not all theists want a religious government.  All that plus the fact that atheists are not the same politically.
religion is the new-old cover up for organized criminals; it's become obvious as a priest getting impunity.
granted there's some ambiguous criminals too; atheist.. maybe too; but they don't go around trying to heard people into pocket picking frenzies.. what?
All fair questions. Let's start with the name...
I can't change the name myself. That has to be voted on. However, I don't think we will keep it. There is already a lot of talk about changing it. Secular party seems to have the lead as of now.
Organize or die is an old Alinsky battle cry. It may be a bit hyperbolic, but I don't see it that far from the truth. I've seen a crazy ass theocrat kill a lot of people up close, in Oklahoma. I also see a bunch of crazies like Bachmann, Rick Perry, Herman Cain and Roy Moore running for president. Personally, I wouldn't put it past any of them to round us up and stick us in "re-education" camps or any euphemism you want to choose.
You been to a tea party rally? I have. They don't like us. At all. It is the religous right with a new brand.
Third, if this was 1999, I would agree that political opinion among atheists was too disparate for any organizing to work. Today, it's a whole new kettle of fish. Ayn Rand has been adopted by the religious right, and most atheists I talk to today reject her outright and have adopted a far more liberal way of thinking.
See Bill Maher.
Democrats disagree with other Democrats all the time. The same with Republicans, but to a lesser degree. These days, at least.
There are plenty of issues I bet we do agree on. Why don't we focus on them.
Yes, xians cringe when they hear the word "atheist". But the more they hear it, the less cringeworthy it will become. John Locke once said that new ideas are always opposed simply because they are new. We're still "new". With time and some effort organizing ourselves, people will hopefully accept us. Or we can prove Benjamin Franklin right: either we fight together or we can hang seperately.
And thank you for the compliment. I'm humbled.

http://www.secular.org.au/

Once again... an 'atheist' party has even less substance than a christian political party.

Atheist simply means the absence of belief/faith in god(s), so an atheist party would at best be a one issue party (much weaker than the greens) that only has relevance when governmental decisions are made in the name of religion.

You sound like Sam Harris. Yes, Sam is right and it's a nothing word. But so was Democracy, once. Campaigns build something out of nothing. And that's what we aim to do.
The chance of a “Spanish Inquisition” occurring in the U.S. is not beyond possibility. In speaking to people who were living in Germany during the rise of Fascism, they spoke of how quickly and to what extreme the society around them changed. We are far out numbered when it comes to political clout. People fear what they don’t know. I think the best bet is to make these people aware, that we are just people like them. Working to put food on the table, a roof over our heads and making the best life we can. Hopefully we can have safety in this awareness.
Joe, I would like to agree, but the way this country is going, I wouldn't bet on that. That's part of the reason I'm a part of this party. I don't want any of us to be in a position where we are alone in such a situation. Sure, atheists disagee. But we do agree that we need to survive. We are slowly becoming a true, defined segment of America. I like to say "the new tribe". I fear for my fellow tribespeople. I want to be a part of something that helps us all, and the best way I know how is being a part of the NAP

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service