Take an amusing quiz to learn about unexpected effects of Climate Change. After each multiple choice question, you see if you were right (and the right answer if you weren't).

Think you know the off effects of Global Climate change?

As you can see I got one wrong for every two correct answers.

Tags: odd effects of Climate Change

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

I only got 16 out of 30 correct. Great Quiz. Loren, take a look at Question #8.

Deadly Chinese hornets are on the rise, because Winter temperatures are milder.

Thumb-Sized Hornets Are Getting More Aggressive — And Fatal — As Ch...

Over the last few weeks, giant, deadly hornets have killed more than two dozen people in China, the result of bizarre weather patterns there that have allowed the bugs to proliferate.

Attacks by giant hornets, most likely the 5-centimeter (2-inch) Vespa mandarinia, have left hundreds injured and 28 people dead, mostly in the Shaanxi region of northwest China. Some victims reported being chased for hundreds of meters and stung — some up to 200 times — by swarms of the insects traveling 40 km/h (25 mph).

The venom contains an enzyme that can dissolve human tissue, and too much of it can also bring renal failure or death.

A local fire department has removed over 300 hornet nests since July. This year, fatalities from hornet attacks are twice the normal average. The hornets have attacked people in the region in previous years, but Zhou Yuanhong, a Shaanxi health official, said that this year was “unusually severe, possibly because of weather changes.” Experts say that the hornets breed more successfully in warmer temperatures.

... the warmer winter temperatures allow more of the insects to survive through the season:

The average winter temperature in Ankang rose 1.10 ℃ in the span of a few years alone, allowing more hornets to survive the winter. And it’s not just China; rising temperatures are behind the spread of another deadly Chinese hornets species, vespa velutina, in South Korea and Europe.

Climate models suggest that vespa velutina is more likely to invade areas of Europe where there are higher densities of beehives, as well as large areas of the Unites States this century.

The hornets are not just a danger to humans — their primary prey is honeybees. Thirty hornets can easily take out a 30,000-strong bee colony in a few hours. [emphasis mine]

Ruth, This is dreadful news.  I am re-twitting. 

Thanks for your interest, Joan. Hornet attacks have now killed 42 people in China and injured over 1,500.

Deadly hornets kill 42 people in China, injure over 1,500

Climate Destabilization causing Parkinson's Disease? Here's the connection: Climate Destabilization increases hurricane strength, hurricanes flood buildings, flooded buildings grow mold, which releases mushroom alcohol, that attacks the dopamine system.

Of Hurricanes, Fungus and Parkinson's Disease

Hurricanes flood houses, resulting in mold. Mold releases mushroom alcohol, which attacks the dopamine system.

Scientists at Rutgers and Emory universities have discovered that a compound often emitted by mold may be linked to symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Arati Inamdar and Joan Bennett, researchers in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences at Rutgers, used fruit flies to establish the connection between the compound -- popularly known as mushroom alcohol -- and the malfunction of two genes involved in the packaging and transport of dopamine, the chemical released by nerve cells to send messages to other nerve cells in the brain. [emphasis mine]

image source

Thanks for the site Ruth. Very important information. Bulldozing the Philippine flooded area, with heavy breathing equipment for the cleanup crews seems in order. 

I will take the quiz Ruth and see how I do. Reading back on all your posts here

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service