Opinions anyone? The more I hear about it the more I appreciate it. Yeah, sure it's like the tea partiers, except these people seem to be more invested and willing to stay to make a point. It's all Rush and Beck can whine about lately, and despite the few advocating anarchy and communism, the main message seems to be about releasing this country from the strangle hold that business and corporations have on government. It's been a long time coming...

Views: 1404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Madison, welcome to the conversation. I'm glad you took the time to look through the graphs and EVIDENCE (ahem) of what is really going on and to take an interest in understanding the problems. I would answer you that yes, it is a part of the American dream to be an entrepeneur and strike it rich, but no, not even if you are screwing over people while doing it. Yes, that's how it's often been done, but that is not a "dream", that is more of a nightmare and we as a people ought to do everything we can to ensure that people are good to each other above all, in that they provide a service with their businesses and do not exist simply to be a drain on society and a poison to others. Anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws exist because there is a need to ensure that people play fair and stay within the rules, not because the rules are there arbitrarily but because their intent is to make our society better. If those laws are not doing that job well enough, then it is up to us as a people to try to get those laws changed so that they do make our country, and the world, a better place to live in. Sound good?

Protesting is one of the first steps towards enacting change. I hope you don't think the civil rights protests, or the women's rights protests, etc., didn't do much of anything? At this point, I strongly believe that an issue of this magnitude is going to be very much the same as these social movements in that it is going to require a lot of time, energy, resources, and political will to change the status quo. And if/when it succeeds, people will look at this movement and this generation and say that we did as much for society as any of the other movements which came before us, and that we made a real positive difference.

One of the things YOU can do, if you are as struck by the economic injustice of these times, when bankers can blow up the economy trying to be uber-greedy, then get bailed out on tax-payer money, and then proceed to foreclose on people's homes and receive staggering bonuses as if what they did was in any way to be considered "good", is to go to getmoneyout.com and sign the petition for a constitutional amendment separating money from politics. We need to break up the unholy alliance between business and government and get the government working for the people again, so that our children can grow up in a country where they have a decent chance of starting their own businesses and becoming successful, wealthy even, and most importantly, can feel proud of their accomplishments and their contributions to society.

Well fucking said, chap!
Thanks bud, this is obviously something I am really passionate about. And good luck in Afghanistan man, sorry to hear you have to go over there. Drop me a line when you get back! How long is your tour?
One year, starting in december. I leave nov 8th for pre mobilisation, in total it'll be about 14 months
Good luck and thanks for your service

Very well said indeed. And I have already signed the petition so I'm good to go on that front. The biggest reason I said that protesting won't do much of anything is because I'm an idiot and forgot to type "on its own" lol.

Also, the biggest difference that I see between this movement and the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Rights movement is that this one has the potential to hurt powerful people's pockets and from what I've read in history, they have a habit of getting kind of stabby about those kinds of things.

Other than that what I'm getting from what you said kind of agrees with my new personal policy when it comes to elections. I've been voting for the person who I feel can run the government well and who hasn't been in that particular office before.

So long story short I agree with you lol. Oh and aren't we still waiting on Sassan to give his definition of American?

I support Occupy Wallstreet. I believe that there are times when the government must help especially in creating jobs and job training. We are all in this together. No handouts to those who are capable of working but do not. Ironically, it is the corporations who get the handouts with very little given back in return to the  US tax payer. The corportations do not see their role as to sustain America. They make profits at the expense of our health, environment and wellbeing. They must be held accountable in maintaining ethical standards. If left to their own devices they will make their money and move on to the next money making venture without any moral compass.
When has government created sustainable jobs? Government is a burden to the market place. Government is never good at creating jobs and wealth - it hinders it.
Ever hear of FDR's New Deal. Granted it wasn't as successful as it could've been, but that is just one example that I can think of off the top of my head
I guess I better look up (

Occupy Wallstreet

because I don't know what it is.

Sassan - and others - I invite you to read this commentary from a long-time friend of mine named David 2 - a small-l libertarian - and carefully consider what it has to say:

http://brutallyhonestcolumn.blogspot.com/2011/10/week-of-10102011.html

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service