Opinions anyone? The more I hear about it the more I appreciate it. Yeah, sure it's like the tea partiers, except these people seem to be more invested and willing to stay to make a point. It's all Rush and Beck can whine about lately, and despite the few advocating anarchy and communism, the main message seems to be about releasing this country from the strangle hold that business and corporations have on government. It's been a long time coming...

Views: 1402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

go here for the straight info:

www.occupystream.com

all the live streams and info.

its about the world bankers (very few. in the U.S. its the FED bnk sys) controling, through money and power of election our polotics/poloticians for there own benifit and to the detriment of all those that are not "in the club".

this has, over the years/decades..etc.. resulted in the coruption and coersion of all governments and created a mear vener of democracy in the face of a "boom/war/bust/boom" cycle that has to stop.

and that is just the first step.

enjoy the revolution children.

I will also say that I am not prone to "consperacy theorys"(sick!) but just on observation the conclusion is prety clear.

its a socialogical/political disaster brought about by the corruption of a good (not perfect) system of money and government.

we may very well be in the midst of a real paradigm change.

"....the tree of freedom must, from time to time be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants which after all is its natural manure." t. jefferson

well....thats my $1.25....

My grandmother came to adulthood in the late 1890s, victim of the Great Depression of 1893 when Wall Street collapsed leaving bankruptcies, unemployment went over 25%, and some families starved and/or froze to death. 

Many U.S.A. citizens from the “comfortable class blamed the poor for not being willing to work, saying they were lazy, and many desperate people committed suicide while some killed their families to ease their pain. 

The privileged class feared violence and anarchy.  Bitter fights with unemployed farmers, railroaders, miners, and lumbering folk went on strike or formed resistance groups, such as the Grange movement.  The Homestead strike, Carnegie Steel Work, and the Pullman strike resulted in federal and state governments bowing to the power of moneyed interests sending troops in to stop the “Industrial Army”, even killing them.  Government’s function was to protect property.  Starving and homeless people became their enemy. 

Anyone who resisted conformity to powerful moneyed interests suffered not only abuse of bullets but of being accused of being anti-U.S.A. or “un-American”. 

My grandmother, forced out of her home in Pennsylvania as a teenager because of lack of food and shelter, made her way to north Idaho, alone, where she worked as a nurse in a lumbering town.  She worked hard her whole life, married an ambitious man, gave birth to five children and two were born in a tent, she cared for surviving orphaned children family members of the 1918 flu epidemic, gained respectability and status in her community and in her old age fell victim to the 1929 Crash.  She lost her home, their family business, and was left destitute.  Her grown children couldn’t find work and they all huddled with their families in a common house they hobbled together until F.D.R. and the New Deal began public work projects and the war industry created work for WW II.

One life, two Great Depressions!  The Boom/Bust of Capitalism at work in all its glory.  

The present generation has not learned from history or denies it.  We have to continually remind them of what really took place then, otherwise have to fight the same battles all over. I blame our entertainment industry for not having the courage to tell it like it really was.  You can pierce the armor of right-wing propaganda with art, movies, novels, and dramas but I see a total lack of courage in the likes of the Spielberg's and Scorcese's to fight for the 99.9%.

The shocking truth about the crackdown on Occupy

by Naomi Wolf

The violent police assaults across the US are no coincidence. Occupy has touched the third rail of our political class's venality

'The National Union of Journalists issued a Freedom of Information Act request to investigate possible federal involvement with law enforcement practices that appeared to target journalists. The New York Times reported that "New York cops have arrested, punched, whacked, shoved to the ground and tossed a barrier at reporters and photographers" covering protests.

Reporters were asked by NYPD to raise their hands to prove they had credentials: when many dutifully did so, they were taken, upon threat of arrest, away from the story they were covering, and penned far from the site in which the news was unfolding. Other reporters wearing press passes were arrested and roughed up by cops, after being – falsely – informed by police that "It is illegal to take pictures on the sidewalk."'

'Journalist Chris Hayes reported on a leaked memo that revealed lobbyists vying for an $850,000 contract to smear Occupy. '

Naomi Wolf is author of The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot

Wolf's assertion that Homeland Security was behind the crackdowns is controversial.

Naomi Wolf Versus Joshua Holland: Was There a Coordinated Federal Crackdown on Occupy Wall Street?

bump

Yeah I thought this was right on. See my discussion post The Unholy Alliance between the rich and the powerful here: http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/the-unholy-alliance-betwee...

Cool, I'll look for ya. Maybe we can find something to agree on!

Government is the problem, not the solution.

I have zero problems with corporations, or the power they have to make products and sell them for profit, as long as they do not get government assistance or violate an individual's right to their own life. I don't think that wealth can be too concentrated, unless done so, by non-retaliatory force. I do not value economic disparity or even consider it relevant. And the environment will be just fine as long as the market is left free enough to allow innovation and development.

You write about corporations as if they are people. People do bad things. Corporations don't. The bad things you describe are actions of certain individuals breaking the law or making immoral choices. All decisions are done by individuals. That's how the brain works and that is what morality is concerned with. There is no collective consciousness or social contract. Autonomous singular conscious decisions. There is no other entity, other than a sentient brain, that can make moral choices. If a group of individuals at a company decide to pollute your land, you can sue them, and under proper law, gain the support of the government, for its only moral purpose, to provide protection of your right to your own life. If you would like to change something about reality, then go ahead, but when you gain the favor of the government for something other than individual protection, you are necessarily taking that power from others that might not want you to, by force. Do you at least see that, first and foremost, if you want the power of the government for your special interest, you must violate the rights of another? That, it is you that is the aggressor?

Oh! Oh! Let me think a minute, the SCOTUS ruled corporations are persons. Now, If corporations are people, and corporations can raise vast sums of money to elect the president, congress and supreme court, then the average citizen has no hope of getting fair input into the executive, legislative or judicial branches of government.

You say there is "no collective consciousness". Have you any neurological or any other studies that can confirm your statement?

I thought "We the people" forms the framework upon which our government is based. Isn't that a contract? 

If you have a pollution complaint against a large corporation, and if you earn your living by wage labor, or farming, or whatever, and you go up against corporate power, how likely are you to get a chance to voice your complaint, and once heard, do you have enough money to get you through all the appeals, and delays that smart lawyers know how to use? A single individual, or even a group of individuals probably do not have the money, time, energy, or desire to spend all their time trying to win against such deep pockets. If you are successful in winning a lawsuit, what is the probability you will be successful in getting the judgment? 

Well, if the individuals in a corporation soak the ground and aquifer with cancer causing chemicals, and you get cancer, will you live long enough to have your medical bills paid? Will you suffer pain from radiation and chemotherapy while waiting? When Your life is ended and you have not been compensated for your personal loss and your heirs may not be compensated either, is that aggression, or what?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service