What are everyone's thoughts on Occupy Wall Street? Do you support the protesters? Why or why not?

I personally support the protests because it seems that the US is less and less a country by and for the people and more and more a country by and for the corporations. I'm not looking for massive government hand outs or anything but I'm really tired of corporations making loads of money off my fellow country-people's health, education, security and so on with reckless abandon. Corporations need to be regulated and taxed.

Tags: NYC, New, Occupy, Protest, Street, Wall, York

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am 100 % in solidarity with protesters and I wish I was in NY right now to join them.  The only thing I can do is raise awareness thru facebook and other social media for the time being because, I'm sure you've noticed, conventional media is refusing them coverage and visibility even when police brutality has been rampant (and of course conventional media is owned by, well, Wall Street) ... and so homemade vids and other media needs to be at the forefront and this should wake us up as to the reality of the 'Freedom of Press' that we supposedly enjoy in the US: corporatocracy neutralizes the value of having Freedom of Press because if all press is owned by several major greedy corporations, then all the information that Americans are fed must pass through their think tanks.

And so part of what Americans need to begin doing is boycotting conventional media in support of non-traditional people's media (RTAmerica has a pretty good youtube channel and they've been there the whole time covering the Wall Street Occupation)

By the way I think we should also educate ourselves and other about the issues being raised by the comrades that are occupying Wall Street, this is a very important and rare occassion for America to have these issues as part of our public discourse and to generate awareness.

They published a document with a list of official demands of the Occupy Wall Street Movement, which is here:

http://coupmedia.org/occupywallstreet/occupy-wall-street-official-d...

and one of the inspiring things about this document is the transparency it exudes, the fact that it's all online and social media is being used (as in recent revolutions) and the fact that WE THE PEOPLE can vote online on these resolutions: this is a much more democratic progress than what WE'RE even used to! 

READ CAREFULLY:

Here is the (short versionof the) LIST OF PROPOSED "DEMANDS FOR CONGRESS"

1. CONGRESS PASS HR 1489 ("RETURN TO PRUDENT BANKING ACT" http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1489 ). THIS REINSTATES MANY PROVISIONS OF THE GLASS-STEAGALL ACT.

2. USE CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY AND OVERSIGHT TO ENSURE APPROPRIATE FEDERAL AGENCIES FULLY INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE THE WALL STREET CRIMINALS ....

3. CONGRESS ENACT LEGISLATION TO PROTECT OUR DEMOCRACY BY REVERSING THE EFFECTS OF THE CITIZENS UNITED SUPREME COURT DECISION ....  Vote Here

4. CONGRESS PASS THE BUFFETT RULE ON FAIR TAXATION SO THE RICH AND CORPORATIONS PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE & CLOSE CORPORATE TAX LOOP HOLES AND ENACT A PROHIBITION ON HIDING FUNDS OFF SHORE....

5. CONGRESS COMPLETELY REVAMP THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION ....

6. CONGRESS PASS SPECIFIC AND EFFECTIVE LAWS LIMITING THE INFLUENCE OF LOBBYISTS AND ELIMINATING THE PRACTICE OF LOBBYISTS WRITING LEGISLATION THAT ENDS UP ON THE FLOOR OF CONGRESS.  ...

7. CONGRESS PASSING "Revolving Door Legislation" LEGISLATION ELIMINATING THE ABILITY OF FORMER GOVERNMENT REGULATORS GOING TO WORK FOR CORPORATIONS THAT THEY ONCE REGULATED. ...

8. ELIMINATE "PERSONHOOD" LEGAL STATUS FOR CORPORATIONS. ...

The document includes more detailed explanations of these demands, as well as a chance to vote on these and other demands (please read carefully each item before casting your vote - let's make this a conscious act of choosing something new and better: if tens of millions of persons vote on at least four or five of these specific issues, then that will definitely be saying something).

FWD this around:

found at fbook for...
https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_I_Sta...
Planned Parenthood Whoa! 50,000 people have called on Rep. Stearns to stop misusing his power and to start focusing on the real problems Americans face every day. Be sure you're one of them. Sign our open letter and then "Share" it on your wall and with your friends. Let's get to 60,000 signatures by tomorrow.
Hopefully the marching is only the beginning. We need to start writing and circulating petitions and sending butt-loads of mail to our local politicians.
And physical mail, at that. Like the buckets and buckets of letters to Santa from Miracle on 34th street.

The protests remind me of the upheaval prior to the Berlin Wall coming down.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service