Obama endorses rights of Muslims to build Ground Zero community center

New York Times Article - hopefully it stays active (they don't alwa...

“This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are.”

The president of the United States, enthusiastically upholding the very first sentence of the very first amendment of our Bill of Rights? Imagine that!

I for one give Obama a standing ovation. While I'm certainly not a fan of religion, and especially the gruesome, mutant, evil twins that are Islam and Christianity, in lieu of a secular planet, I for one am quite glad that 99.9% of the 1 billion Muslims on Earth are practicing the non-terrorism flavor of their faith. If it was a Christian fringe group that took down the World Trade Center, I'm betting the happy-fluffy-Jesus crowd would be stumbling over themselves to build a church at Ground Zero as a way of saying "Our faith is normally way more peaceful than that, really." (And as a way to prey on the grief of the victims' families, but that's another discussion).

Just like my support of freedom of speech means supporting the rights of assholes to say offensive crap, I may not like the religion but so long as they aren't actively breaking any laws, I fully support their right to practice it.

Meanwhile, a black, Democratic president with a funny, Muslim-sounding name, daring to say publicly that the Constitution applies to everyone, not just Conservative Christians?!?

Cue the Rightwing outrage in 3...2...1...

Tags: 9/11, Islam, bill, center, ground, mosque, obama, of, rights, trade, More…world, zero

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

It has always been one of my secret dreams to open a Planned Parenthood office next door to a Catholic church, or school. They need it!
I guess he is hopeful that there is a better place to build it where there wouldn't be a backlash.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, maybe?
It's poor judgment if part of the intent is outreach to the non-Muslim community. Should it matter? No, it shouldn't. Does it matter? Absolutely. Because of that, one can only draw the conclusion that the Imam utterly misread the temperature of the general population to his beliefs.

If outreach isn't a concern to him, then no, it wasn't poor judgment.
Considering what the rest of that neighborhood is like, I think it's a great location. And the brainless twits that keep using the phrase"hallowed ground" to refer to the area have obviously never visited the bars and strip joints nearby.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I agree that the folks calling it hallowed ground are twits, but if he was hoping for a positive PR spin because of this, then it was indeed poor judgment. In other words, it has nothing to do with the rightness or wrongness of the reaction, it's the fact that he didn't seem to consider there would be a negative reaction.
I do understand that he probably didn't consider the magnitude of the negative reaction. I still don't believe it myself. As an American, I am thoroughly ashamed at the way other so-called patriots are behaving. As I said about the comments following the AP article about the "controversy" the amount and intensity of the vitriol was amazing. To me.

I guess I'm too old; I still expect people to be civilized and take the laws of this country into consideration before shooting off their mouths. This feels more like a protracted lynching.

Call me "Pollyanna."
'Twould be nice if that were true, wouldn't?
You're forgetting that little stink they had in California, with the bondage, lesbian strip club. Apparently that sort of thing fits in with the message of the Family Values Party.
Ahh, yes. But I think I would have to discover a way to get to OZ to find civilization these days...I mean L. Frank Baum's "OZ," not the land "Down Under." Although I'd love to go there, too. Most of the Aussies I've known were warm, friendly, slightly wacky people. My kind of wacky. I should have emigrated when I had the chance.

I also agree with a lot of the comments in here that this whole ruckus has been manufactured...blown out of proportion by FAUX Noise and the hyper conservatives as a distraction...to get our attention away from what's going on (or not going on) in Congress.

Mostly the opposite of "progress."

The Tea-Baggers are awfully easy to get stirred up...like hitting a wasps' nest with a stick.

'S ironic. 40 years ago it was the progressives who were out marching with picket signs and singing protest songs.... Now it's the "Onward xian soldiers" bunch, and I think they would really like to do some killing, if they could get away with it.

Some days I really can't handle the news anymore. I just got a new MedicAlert bracelet, and the very first line says (at my own request) "DNR". I am no longer looking forward to the future. I honestly thought we'd have some kind of settlement on the Moon by now... Retirement in 1/6 Gee sounds kinda nice.

I'm babbling. Sorry. Past my bedtime, but I am enjoying this discussion.
How could this community have envisioned that they would be the target of a bi-annual political wedge issue? Pray? The mosque just down the street seems to be doing just fine.
Turn on Fox News on any given day.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service