Obama endorses rights of Muslims to build Ground Zero community center

New York Times Article - hopefully it stays active (they don't alwa...

“This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are.”

The president of the United States, enthusiastically upholding the very first sentence of the very first amendment of our Bill of Rights? Imagine that!

I for one give Obama a standing ovation. While I'm certainly not a fan of religion, and especially the gruesome, mutant, evil twins that are Islam and Christianity, in lieu of a secular planet, I for one am quite glad that 99.9% of the 1 billion Muslims on Earth are practicing the non-terrorism flavor of their faith. If it was a Christian fringe group that took down the World Trade Center, I'm betting the happy-fluffy-Jesus crowd would be stumbling over themselves to build a church at Ground Zero as a way of saying "Our faith is normally way more peaceful than that, really." (And as a way to prey on the grief of the victims' families, but that's another discussion).

Just like my support of freedom of speech means supporting the rights of assholes to say offensive crap, I may not like the religion but so long as they aren't actively breaking any laws, I fully support their right to practice it.

Meanwhile, a black, Democratic president with a funny, Muslim-sounding name, daring to say publicly that the Constitution applies to everyone, not just Conservative Christians?!?

Cue the Rightwing outrage in 3...2...1...

Tags: 9/11, Islam, bill, center, ground, mosque, obama, of, rights, trade, More…world, zero

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

My dad never did support the Wiesenthal Center.
Even if he is a government employee, the White House is his house and he can celebrate anything he wants...as long as it isn't done as an officially government sanctioned event.
Could it be too early to celebrate? Politico is now reporting that Obama is backing off his original statement last night. See http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/08/pouring_gas_on_th...
Err, why are we celebrating?
In these times, endorsing freedom of religion is something worth celebrating. Remember, those who want to limit our freedom of religion can also limit our freedom from religion.
Oh, I read that the wrong way around. I thought we were celebrating that Obama was backing off of his original statement. Heh. Thus my confusion.
That's what I'm worried about. That's why I almost hope for Palin in 2012, to damned near guarantee him a second term. I'm just terrified of the possibility of her actually winning. I like to think the moderates aren't that stupid, but you never know.
I hope I didn't give you that position. If so, I failed miserably. Freedom of religion, including freedom from religion, is a paradigm for me. What it means is that I have the right to free opinions and thought, no matter how ridiculous or outlandish they may be. It means the right to be wrong, but it also means the right to learn, discuss, debate, and argue until we are blue in the face. That's what the freedom is about. What you are suggesting is simply the favoring of one particular dogmatic position over another--and yes, atheism can be dogmatic as well. Inevitably, people who propose this always assume that the dogma will be their own, but that can't always be the case.

On the other hand, my freedom to not believe is entirely dependent on someone else's freedom to believe, whether it is in Yahweh, Jesus, Allah, Zeus, or the sacred dice god who rules over backgammon.
Sarah Palin has tweeted extensively about this. You can guess what she thinks.

Considering her references to building an Orthodox church at the site of the Srebrenic massacre, I would really love to ask Ms Palin about her opinion on the Fata Orlovic church controversy. A Muslim woman named Fata Orlovic expelled from the region eventually returned to her home to find an Orthodox church there. She has since been fighting to have it removed and the property restored to her: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6960579.stm

Would Ms. Palin remove that church?
Yeah, but they're not the right kind of Christians. They're idolaters, like the Catholics. Heck, from what I've seen, with the iconography, they go way beyond the Catholics. I bet she'd help tear it down.
Love to, but I don't think she'd talk to us.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
6 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
6 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
14 minutes ago
booklover replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
35 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to dr kellie's discussion what boobs are good for in the group Hang With Friends
41 minutes ago
Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Carl Sagan's Cosmos
43 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
47 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a video
My Loot Crate just made my day today. Small little pick me ups right when I need one. :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203923636523049&l=6942591917367135588
1 hour ago
sflmac replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat commented on Pete Matthews's status
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Rick Springfield's discussion Religion the virus of society in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service