Obama endorses rights of Muslims to build Ground Zero community center

New York Times Article - hopefully it stays active (they don't alwa...

“This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are.”

The president of the United States, enthusiastically upholding the very first sentence of the very first amendment of our Bill of Rights? Imagine that!

I for one give Obama a standing ovation. While I'm certainly not a fan of religion, and especially the gruesome, mutant, evil twins that are Islam and Christianity, in lieu of a secular planet, I for one am quite glad that 99.9% of the 1 billion Muslims on Earth are practicing the non-terrorism flavor of their faith. If it was a Christian fringe group that took down the World Trade Center, I'm betting the happy-fluffy-Jesus crowd would be stumbling over themselves to build a church at Ground Zero as a way of saying "Our faith is normally way more peaceful than that, really." (And as a way to prey on the grief of the victims' families, but that's another discussion).

Just like my support of freedom of speech means supporting the rights of assholes to say offensive crap, I may not like the religion but so long as they aren't actively breaking any laws, I fully support their right to practice it.

Meanwhile, a black, Democratic president with a funny, Muslim-sounding name, daring to say publicly that the Constitution applies to everyone, not just Conservative Christians?!?

Cue the Rightwing outrage in 3...2...1...

Tags: 9/11, Islam, bill, center, ground, mosque, obama, of, rights, trade, More…world, zero

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed, SG. For the government to prohibit this use of a building simply on the grounds that it's got some Islam stuck to it and it's so close to "sacred ground" would be a First Amendment trifecta. A tricky achievement, it would violate at least three clauses, the Free Exercise, the Establishment, and the Peacable Assembly clauses.

I'm strenuously opposed to religion generally, but I believe in freedom of conscience, which is what the First Amendment is all about.
As they support repeal of the 17th and 14th amendments, as they had no complaint when Bush and the Patriot Act overrode the 4th and 5th amendments, and are calling out for this 1st amendment repeal trifecta, I keep hearing the Rightwing whine about how Obama is destroying the constitution.
A friend just sent me a link to a frightening article in The New Yorker about one source of funding for the Tea Extremists...no surprise, really, but the goals and the stealth factor are identical to the way the hyper-fundamentalist Family Foundation operates.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/30/100830fa_fact_mayer

Do "We the People" count at all anymore? Did we ever?
Well, that's the same way that the Republican Party has operated for ... well, as long as I've been alive, and at least a couple decades before that. Corporations and rich people own the party and sell themselves to the poor, ignorant masses with their 'values' platform (while the donors get treated to dinners at lesbian, bondage clubs (mind you, I'm not saying anything bad about lesbian, bondage clubs, just noting the hypocrisy)) and with simplistic messages about cutting taxes (leaving out that they'll mostly be cutting the taxes of the rich by 9% or 10% and the taxes of the poor by 0.2% or 0.3%).

The Republican Party is the party for people who believe everything at face value and don't look at the numbers or details. Why should we expect anything different from this little offshoot movement which isn't even trying to work outside of the GOP?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service