OBAMA CARE...So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. This is a statement of our most basic individual rights. Over the centuries our human rights have been abused and eroded but always one could still say (...most of the time, in this country...) one could mind their own business and be left totally alone to live their life with no interference from anyone. But with this new health care bill, soon everyone will have to pay a fee to the government, or insurance company, for being alive.

...our last tiny bit of absolute liberty will be erased.

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well.

The rest of the free world has social health care.
What you are doing is not quite social health care... but it's a step in the right direction.

We're not living under the barrel of a gun. There's no commie flags flying. We still have the same liberties as (,some nations have a few more than) the US.

Your paranoid fears of dictatorship, tyranny, and pretty much all of this 'headless chicken' neuroses has amounted to one thing and one thing only : Something for the rest of the world to laugh at on the evening news.

I don't know who is pushing the fear mongering, republican propaganda, and paranoia over there... or how so many of you are blindly falling for it... but it's making for some great comedy over here.

Seriously, next time someone starts freaking out about "tyranny" and "Armageddon", find out if he's just a nut job before joining in.
Start thinking for yourselves.
And stop getting your facts from people pushing propaganda.
It's been pretty embarrassing being an American since Faux News started warping people's minds. How does the rest of the world resist Rupert Murdoch's crapaganda? Why are Americans so susceptible?
I'm currently reading a book by Susan Jacoby titled "The Age of American Unreason" and she does explain this "susceptibility" you're wondering about.

Jacoby discusses historical events that influence the worldview of the American Christian fundamentalist and the anti-intellectual aspects of it all. I'm only on the 3rd chapter but I'm finding the book very insightful. Our public education system is also part of the problem because so many regional disparities exist and American children learn subjects like biology differently depending on where they live. Public schools boards are local....standardization of curriculum is difficult to quantify.

A distrust of science has taken hold, also, and American media outlets have done a lousy job providing rational, secular, fact-based discussions that could better inform the public. There has been a dumbing down of science. Our students rank very low when it comes to scientific knowledge and reading comprehension. Without learning critical thinking skills, adults find themselves sucked into the lowest common denominator of knowledge: What they absorb from their politically biased television screen.
It's been pretty embarrassing being an American since Faux News started warping people's minds.

I would love to get back to my pride in the good old days, when American Patriots like Oliver North were shining examples of America's benevolence, and Dan Quayle's ascension to the vice presidency demonstrated that cognitive impairment was no longer a barrier to high office. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.
Yeah, I've been meaning to read Jacoby's book. It's on a long list of stuff I should read. I did read Al Gore's The Assault on Reason, which is pretty good. He sorta blames TV for our ever-shortening attention span, and it's hard to argue with that, but he also slams the good old American anti-intellectual streak. Local school boards are a serious problem. They are so subject to political whim and capture by zealots. Religion is strongly to blame, but there's something uniquely American about our glorification of selfishness and stupidity. What other culture thinks education is a suspicious activity? Fundamentalist Islamic cultures. Who else?

The latest Free Inquiry has a reprint of a John Dewey essay from 1937 (not available online). Fascinating summation of the unique dangers of American conceptions of liberty. The kind of libertarian "all I need is my gun and my 40 acres and I can hold out against the evil government" crap that worked reasonably well when everybody could actually have 40 acres, but that by 1937 had long since begun to work against our freedoms writ large.

This distorted, stunted concept of liberty basically encourages anti-government conspiracy nutjobbery to the exclusion of pretty much anything else. Sort of the way this thread started, with the conclusion that universal health care is somehow inimical to our freedoms, rather than a necessary underpinning of them. As de Tocqueville said, democracies get the government they deserve.
We on the outside of the US tend not to watch Fox, unless we want a laugh.
It's the same reason we find Stephen Colbert funny. (He's not a John Stewart level of funny, but funny enough to watch out of boredom.)

In fact, some of us are convinced the entire Fox network is a satire.
A... media version of forum trolling... intended to be funny to some, and aggravating to others.

Rupert Murdoch seems to only care about screwing with American minds. The rest of us raise a bit of a stink when our own media outlets portray a bias. We like our facts, and hate the color commentary.
Rupert Murdoch seems to only care about screwing with American minds.

Only American? That would be a relief, but the US never were big enough to satiate his appetite. E.g., the Sun is a disgrace to journalism in the UK.
Below is link to an op-ed from yesterday's Washington Post by an American history professor at Northwestern. Basically de-bunks any rights the tea-baggers have to lay claim to the legacy of those who participated in the American Revolution. I've pasted in the 1st paragraph.

Whose Revolution is this?
By T.H. Breen
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

When Americans protest, whether it is today's Tea Party members or Vietnam Veterans Against the War being arrested on Lexington Green in 1971, they often lay claim to the ordinary patriots of the Revolution. The impulse of many protesters has been to assert kinship with the middling Americans who came forward to resist British imperial power. But what do we know about the motivations and actions of the ordinary colonists who risked killing and getting killed at the birth of independence? Judging by some of the uses to which their memory is put, not much. These remarkable men and women, however, left ample records; we can discern their motivations in their own words.

read more at this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/30/AR2...
I just love the notion that a president elected by a majority vote, who spent the first year of his term doing exactly what he promised he would do when he ran for office, could possibly be considered a tyrant.
Me too. How dare he keep his promise!
The sign in the middle is pointing to you...

Heh. He's the happiest person there.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service