OBAMA CARE...So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. This is a statement of our most basic individual rights. Over the centuries our human rights have been abused and eroded but always one could still say (...most of the time, in this country...) one could mind their own business and be left totally alone to live their life with no interference from anyone. But with this new health care bill, soon everyone will have to pay a fee to the government, or insurance company, for being alive.

...our last tiny bit of absolute liberty will be erased.

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's been pretty embarrassing being an American since Faux News started warping people's minds.

I would love to get back to my pride in the good old days, when American Patriots like Oliver North were shining examples of America's benevolence, and Dan Quayle's ascension to the vice presidency demonstrated that cognitive impairment was no longer a barrier to high office. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.
Yeah, I've been meaning to read Jacoby's book. It's on a long list of stuff I should read. I did read Al Gore's The Assault on Reason, which is pretty good. He sorta blames TV for our ever-shortening attention span, and it's hard to argue with that, but he also slams the good old American anti-intellectual streak. Local school boards are a serious problem. They are so subject to political whim and capture by zealots. Religion is strongly to blame, but there's something uniquely American about our glorification of selfishness and stupidity. What other culture thinks education is a suspicious activity? Fundamentalist Islamic cultures. Who else?

The latest Free Inquiry has a reprint of a John Dewey essay from 1937 (not available online). Fascinating summation of the unique dangers of American conceptions of liberty. The kind of libertarian "all I need is my gun and my 40 acres and I can hold out against the evil government" crap that worked reasonably well when everybody could actually have 40 acres, but that by 1937 had long since begun to work against our freedoms writ large.

This distorted, stunted concept of liberty basically encourages anti-government conspiracy nutjobbery to the exclusion of pretty much anything else. Sort of the way this thread started, with the conclusion that universal health care is somehow inimical to our freedoms, rather than a necessary underpinning of them. As de Tocqueville said, democracies get the government they deserve.
We on the outside of the US tend not to watch Fox, unless we want a laugh.
It's the same reason we find Stephen Colbert funny. (He's not a John Stewart level of funny, but funny enough to watch out of boredom.)

In fact, some of us are convinced the entire Fox network is a satire.
A... media version of forum trolling... intended to be funny to some, and aggravating to others.

Rupert Murdoch seems to only care about screwing with American minds. The rest of us raise a bit of a stink when our own media outlets portray a bias. We like our facts, and hate the color commentary.
Rupert Murdoch seems to only care about screwing with American minds.

Only American? That would be a relief, but the US never were big enough to satiate his appetite. E.g., the Sun is a disgrace to journalism in the UK.
Below is link to an op-ed from yesterday's Washington Post by an American history professor at Northwestern. Basically de-bunks any rights the tea-baggers have to lay claim to the legacy of those who participated in the American Revolution. I've pasted in the 1st paragraph.

Whose Revolution is this?
By T.H. Breen
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

When Americans protest, whether it is today's Tea Party members or Vietnam Veterans Against the War being arrested on Lexington Green in 1971, they often lay claim to the ordinary patriots of the Revolution. The impulse of many protesters has been to assert kinship with the middling Americans who came forward to resist British imperial power. But what do we know about the motivations and actions of the ordinary colonists who risked killing and getting killed at the birth of independence? Judging by some of the uses to which their memory is put, not much. These remarkable men and women, however, left ample records; we can discern their motivations in their own words.

read more at this link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/30/AR2...
I just love the notion that a president elected by a majority vote, who spent the first year of his term doing exactly what he promised he would do when he ran for office, could possibly be considered a tyrant.
Me too. How dare he keep his promise!
The sign in the middle is pointing to you...

Heh. He's the happiest person there.
Makes me want to protest too.
Not everyone is applauding. I suspect that at some point in the future, those who currently support the "obama care" version of health care reform will stop applauding as well... especially when the quality of health care declines, and government bureaucrats begin deciding what procedures can or can't be performed.

It may do good. Pride hath no other glass
To show itself but pride; for supple knees
Feed arrogance and are the proud man's fees.
Uh, Menuk, you mean unlike the benevolent health insurance statisticians who currently make judgments about what procedures can or can't be performed? You think government officials who don't benefit from the anonymity of corporate bureaucracy will be worse for us than that? Worse than the guys who make those decisions based on whether the exec they work for will get his fat, juicy bonus this quarter? Sorry, but it really can't be any worse than what we have now.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service