This is my first post. I am a nontheist rather than an atheist because atheism seems to include both passive nontheism and aggressive anti-theism.  Personally, I don't believe in gods and I am unconcerned about other people who believe in such creatures.  To me, the great harm to the world has come, not from theist or nontheist per se, but from a militant dogmatic ideology, e.g., Islam, Christianity, Marxism and anti-theism to name a few.  I suspect militant dogmatism might be a symptom of some deep seated psychopathology, i.e., unresolved conflicts about what they believe.  Why are they so threatened by people who disagree with them?

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Militant dogmatic ideology, excellent description. An excellent example of this would be the recent 'blasphemy' motivated assassination in Pakistan, and the Mohammed cartoon plotters just arrested in Denmark. I pity people who feel that sort of thing is necessary for those reasons...
A subtle, sophisticated and significant distinction.  I, too, am uncomfortable using "atheist" because of its negetive connotation. 

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service