Non-Believing Cadet Resigns From West Point - Cites Religious Discrimination

West Point cadet Blake Page was 174 days away from graduating from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Yet, he decided to submit his letter of resignation. He was passing all of his classes, and would have successfully received his diploma and commission as an officer and a gentleman. In addition, a West Point degree would have carried great prestige and opened many doors for him should he have left the military in the future and ventured into the private sector. Now, he's facing the possibility of having to re-pay the government from between $200-$300 per week for the three and a half years of his education that he did receive.

So why walk away from all this? Religious discrimination. In his letter of resignation, he stated

I do not wish to be in any way associated with an institution which willfully disregards the Constitution of the United States of America by enforcing policies which run counter to the same. Examples of these policies include mandatory prayer, the maintenance of the 3rd Regiment Shield, awarding extra passes to Plebes who take part in religious retreats and chapel choirs, as well as informal policies such as the open disrespect of non-religious new cadets and incentivizing participation in religious activities through the chain of command.

Article

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't say I'm surprised at this.  No doubt religion in general and christianity in particular are institutionalized in our military and have been so for some time.  Witness the business about active proselytism at the Air Force Academy which came down not that long ago.  It seems to me that West Point, Annapolis, and Colorado Springs have some rethinking to do...

It's interesting to note what the function of Christianity is in the military.  Never does it play a role in bringing two waring factions together to discuss peace - instead, the chaplains are there to counsel the dead and dying, and to strengthen the will of those still alive to get out there and bring the fight to the enemy with courage, and the comfort that you are on path to finding Jesus.  Just doesn't seem a bit contrary to the kind of advice that the Jesus myth would have espoused.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/2012/02/27/another-cra...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service