What this means is that the theist filling out a profile should stop and discard what they've started.  Atheist Nexus is a site exclusively for non-theists.  What that means is that theists should not join.

As is written on the homepage of Atheist Nexus: " The World's Largest Social Networking Site Exclusively For Nontheists!"

There are plenty of other sites to engage non-theists.  Atheist Nexus is not one of them.

Tags: atheist nexus, atheist nexus membership

Views: 77

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

That would engage "logic" being undertaken just to follow the instructions to join.
Heh. Indeed.

I reckon a certain percentage of people don't proofread their profile before submitting it for approval, and may have accidentally selected the wrong option. Or, their grasp of English may not be that strong, and "a theist" may look an awful lot like "atheist".

However, the ones who have just wasted their time, especially folks who have a link to their online journal all about God, really boggle me. It is a complete waste of time, because their profile won't be approved for site membership.
Or they just don't understand the word "NO" when it comes to religion. A premise that they have read the outline, but still think by coming through they can convince someone to join their cult. I know there are atheist/agnostic equivalents, but they feel it is their duty to convert even when they are told it isn't wanted.
Except where they are making demands of others, of course
How about we just add to that portion of the application:

If you believe in god in any way, shape or form, GET THE HELL OUT NOW!!!

Not very diplomatic, I know ... but for some people, ball bat diplomacy is the only thing that works.
Well, I think there are people who border on theistic here. There are groups for pagans and Buddhists here--and last I checked those are religions, even though Buddhism is sometimes atheistic and paganism you can pick and choose whatever you want. There have also been new-agey people here. Some people have discussed things like "what if God really does exist?" and I have also come across people who were not so much atheist as they were questioning what their beliefs were. I think all of these things were OK in the interest of free speech, and I especially thought the person questioning their beliefs should be allowed here. Basically we don't want hardcore, dogmatic, card carrying theists coming here to preach, convert, or just harass people.
Actually - many forms of paganism acknowledge the existential nature of there belief - seeking only to instill and embody a reverence for the entire life system of the natural world through metaphorical means. I respect that type of paganism as atheist. Most pagans I know don't believe in Hellenic, Nordic or any other pantheon of gods as real. And Buddhism is only woo woo if you accept the reincarnation bit. The idea that the 'walls' that divide us being largely illusory is fairly defensible and require no belief in a deity to be proffered.

I do think that, if someone who is curious comes here in good faith (pardon the pun) - they should be allowed - as long as the stick to reading and asking questions or holding notions up for authentic challenge. There is, after all, a category for discussion of theism here - it would be intellectually dishonest to exclude the right of members to attempt a defense in order to provide for legitimate debate.

Fence sitters are the ones who can be 'saved' from theism, BTW.

But those who believe - why would they want to be here anyway - good luck converting any of us.
I was just thinking, could we have a portion of the site designed for interaction with theists? I suppose Ning probably doesn't support that, but I think it'd be really good if it could be implemented - nothing huge, but like a small forum where the atheists of A|N could mingle with the occasional theist that strays in here. There seem to be at least a few theists interested in dialogue (or at least preaching), so maybe it'd be best to set a specific place apart for them to do that (and maybe even keep them off of the rest of the site :P).
No.

It's not the purpose of Nexus, and it wouldn't keep them off. If they lie now to join, they'll lie to get on the non-theist areas.

This is one of the first bits of text on the main page:

The World's Largest Social Networking Site Exclusively For Nontheists!

There are plenty other sites for people to argue with theists. I find it refreshing to have a site where I'm only arguing with non-theists.
I agree with Grundgetta - there are many, many sites theists can go to for interaction with nontheists. This is the only one that I have found where I can get away from all the cliches, and the religious judgements.
GET THE HELL OUT NOW!!!

Here here! I vote for that being put in!
Subtle and elegant, lol! I like it

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service