No, Everyone Knows You Are A Dangerous Lunatic: A Person Without God is Immoral, Sinful, Wicked, and Naughty

I saw this meme on a FaceBook page and responded by saying the phenomenon described makes it  exasperating to say the least. We are pariahs. The Godless have no friends other than fellow atheists and freethinkers. It is easy for believers to say that we are guilty of the "sin" of intellectual pride. (I use quotation marks because "sin" is the church guys' preferred tool of keeping the shorn sheep in line, guilt being the primary driver in any of these silly beliefs.) And what is so wrong with taking pride in one's intellectualism. If I strike a match, I know that it is a chemical reaction of phosphorus, &c., but the believer will tell you that God created the inventor and that if He did not want the match to light, it would not. You cannot argue with dogma, but they've just described our aleatory existence: not God, chance. But if you told a believer the earth exists because of chance, they will tell you you're wrong, unless you mean God and chance are the same.

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do I know that? Is it because they told me so when I was very young? What about all those other religions that have to be fake if mine is the true one?

Ah, but there is a perfect answer. Say yes, in your heart you know it is true. "But in my brain, I know it is a total fabrication of desert warlords seeing 'God' as a great tool for keeping the caravan in line."

"Thanks, but my heart pumps blood.  My BRAIN thinks ... and it thinks your logic lacks something ... like LOGIC."

I've said to people, "Have you ever READ the bible?  It's HORRIBLE."  I'm sure they think for a split-second, and then go back to their pretend world with some stupid explanation to themselves.

Not to forget, booklover, that there are studies showing that the more familiar you are with the bible, the less likely you are to think it good. Actually, atheists as a rule know more about the gospels than the average Christian.

James, I told a friend that in the bible, jesus never said anything against homosexuality.  She insisted that jesus said "one man, one woman."  She just believes whatever her tight little catholic community tells her.  I DID say to her, "You know your beliefs are beliefs, not facts, right?"  She did nod her head yes.

I doubt the belief v. fact argument makes an impression on them. They couldn't care less. Next time, tell her that the person who made it appear that Jesus said something disparaging of gays was a rabidly homophobic, misogynistic lout, Saul, who changed his name to Paul after coming to the realization -- on the road to Damascus -- that he could make a lot more money preaching than thieving and killing. Paul and Constantine are the villains in the story.

So nice to know that William Tyndale died for making the bible available so the common man could read what it actually said and people still don't bother to read the bloody thing.  

Could you imagine telling anyone, "Oh, yes!  I base my life, my choices, and my stance on political issues on the teachings of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  No, I've never actually read it, but..."  People would look at you as if you were bonkers.

I thought Jebus said "one man and several women." Maybe he said "as many as you can legally suppport." There are ways around that to explain things today. That was in the Old Pesterment.

xtians have a special way of ´knowing´, I remember from my fundy past. My parents ´knew´ the bible; remembered what it said and on what page, but they never allowed themselves or their children to think about it. It's a kind of double think, like George Orwell described in 1984.

@Michael, depends on which translation you pick. I like Robert Anton Wilson's wry comment that the bible was written in koine, and that form of Greek had run on sentences because the written language was not punctuated. In this way, he wrote, GOD IS NOW HERE could easily be GOD IS NOWHERE.

One of my favorite utterances of all time is from Robert Anton Wilson, in Cosmic Trigger, I think. He said Convictions cause convicts; whatever you believe imprisons you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
48 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service