does a belief in nothing actually entail a conceptual reality / a belief in something?
is it a positive philosophy, or does it have the ability to be?
what implications does this have for atheism, and philosophy / existence in general?

to sum up my thoughts....
yes
yes
positive for the individual (non) believer, and in the macro... assuming the resistance isn't the same as with the non-belief in a sky man.

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that the reason that I identify nihlism with adolesence is the profound feelings of angst that are neccessary for it to seem like an attractive philosophy. There is much more to life than simply existing, and while I too try "not to sweat the small stuff", it is worth it to have something in your life that you would regret losing.

I would check out "Existentialism is Humanism" by Sarte if I were you. Basically Existentialism opperates on the same principals of Nihlism, but gives humans the power to create meaning in their own lives.

You will like your life better if you feel like you are giving it meaning.
I was going to start a Nihilism thread, but this was already here so...

I think Nihilism, at its most basic, is inherent in any logical Atheist. Sure, you can have personal meaning in life, but in the end does any of it really matter? No, because in the end we die and nothing happens. This can make someone lazy, crazy, humble, or give them any number of other traits. Nihilism is essentially just being overly logical about everything, because unless you pretend to have one for yourself, there really is no point or meaning in the universe. It's a cold place, but if you want to enjoy it, do so. If you don't, don't.

Personally, I find it liberating. Sure, it would be pretty nice if there was meaning, just as it would be nice if there was an afterlife. But there isn't, and accepting that isn't fun, but then a lot of things aren't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service