does a belief in nothing actually entail a conceptual reality / a belief in something?
is it a positive philosophy, or does it have the ability to be?
what implications does this have for atheism, and philosophy / existence in general?

to sum up my thoughts....
yes
yes
positive for the individual (non) believer, and in the macro... assuming the resistance isn't the same as with the non-belief in a sky man.

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Again, atheism is seen in a similar light by some.... I know some of my family members hope I'll someday 'grow out' of it, even though I'm not a teenie.
Why do you say such a thing? I find existential nihilism, from a philosphical viewpoint, to be the most logically sound opinion you can have, simply, because outside the confines of our cultural and/or personal definitions of life and the way we enjoy it, it has no greater meaning in any greater context. Your enjoyment of life is indifferent to the vast universe itself, but it doesn't make you unable to enjoy life.

I actually find your comment to be childish and more akin of a teenager, than you say, claim me to be. It's whiny and is completely void of any form of criticism that would, in my opinion, at least validate your opinion why nihilism is only for teenagers, and would make you come off better than the whiny immature teenager you sound like you are yourself. (Yes, I have checked your profile, I sincerely believe maturity has got nothing to do with age.)

Was Nietzsche, the inventor of nihilism, a childish teenager to you too?

I am not an existential nihilist because I find it emotionally appealing, I don't give it that much weight that in a grander universe my life is not important (and why should such a thing concern me anyway?), I have taken my stance because it is the only logically sound answer I've found in accordance to the knowledge I currently possess. I don't believe that humans exist only to further the species either, I simply don't believe that there is an instrinsic meaning to life itself.

And I am 21, I doubt I will "grow out" of nihilism anytime soon, it's something I've agreed with for many years now, and the more I learn, the more I feel this was the right decisioin to take.
I too had to deal with Nihlism after losing my faith. Nihlism isn't so much a failure of reason as it is a failure of moral courage to make a stab at an objectively ethical purpose in life. You can be perfectly rational and perfectly miserable at the same time. Also...

Ze goggles....ze do NOTHING!
=)

I think you can be moral, while admitting that your actions may/will have no real reason (maybe other then 'being good for goods sake')

Personally, I 'found' nihilist philosophies *after* atheism when I was looking for something more - or less
nihilism as I understand it's usage
is a rejection and as such is a belief system
in and of itself which is a bit contradictory
whereas what I've seen postulated here
is more agnostic in that you can only
deal with your perceptual reality
and everything else is speculation
You sound like you have a lot of personal integrity noOne. Good for you.
An open ended belief in nothing is not quantify-able I think. A lack of a belief in the sky man is a coherent idea, and therefore quantify-able. I think the point is therefore not to believe in a fiction.
Yes i can say that in my deconversion to atheism i have had a few nihlistic thoughts cross me. But ive come to the conclusion that if we were of no purpose then and we didnt exist then this would be something like that movie "the Matrix." and thats just outragous.
But hey i may be wrong but what can you do.
I say keep on keepin on my friend.
Well, I am just an existential nihlist, but I combine it with a lot of different approaches, and I am not viewing life very negatively I think.
I find nihilism neither emotionally not intellectually attractive. Nothing explains nothing. It seems useless and, well, empty to me. On the other hand, I am perfectly satisfied as an atheist without resorting to anything remotely like nihilism, of any kind.

I am not nihilistic with regards to meaning or existence, for instance. I do think meaning is in some senses relative. I wouldn't assert, however, that there is no such thing as meaning. Perhaps no ultimate meaning .... (disappointing! ... but I've learned to accept and be comfortable with that ...)

Perhaps you could describe how, or in what manner, nihilism has been positive for you. It could be that those positive things could be had from believing in something.
I may not have a real clear understanding of nihilism (make the "may not" a "probably don't") but it seems to me... hopeless? I don't need anything supernatural to have purpose. God didn't give it to me - I give it to myself, my culture gives it to me, my family, my environment, and most of all, my son. My creative desires to write, paint, sing, and dance. My love of learning new things and absorbing knowledge like a sponge. These are strong internal drives that aren't compatible with my (admittedly probably ignorant and/or inaccurate) views of nihilism.
For me, my nihilism does not make me feel hopeless. For me, it's just a rational decision I've made, because I CANNOT, in any way, justify, how in the world my ideas of what is important in life could be instrinsically meant to be, when they differ so much between person and person and culture and culture. That makes me believe that we humans choose to give our lives our own meaning, but it does not mean that it's automatically intrinsic, also considering it is only important to HUMANS, it makes me believe even more so life has no meaning outside any form of cultural context, therefore it is by default nihilistic.

I however believe that the personal meaning I give to my life makes my life quite positive though :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service