Newshour | TV, Radio Talkers Shaping Political Discourse in U.S.

TV, Radio Talkers Shaping Political Discourse in U.S.

JIM LEHRER: Next tonight: the TV talkers and their impact on how the rest of us talk politics.

Jeffrey Brown reports.

GLENN BECK, Host, "Glenn Beck": If it wasn't for FOX or talk radio, we would be done as a republic.

JEFFREY BROWN: In a multimedia world of talk and more talk, the latest big talker is Glenn Beck, known for his folksiness and emotion, which sometimes spills over to tears...

GLENN BECK: I just love my country.

JEFFREY BROWN: ... and, most of all, for his over-the-top style and words, which, for many, push the limits of acceptable public rhetoric.

GLENN BECK: ... is that there are Marxist revolutionaries who have dedicated themselves to principles that will destroy our nation as we know it.

I'm saying he has a problem. He has a -- this guy is, I believe, a racist.

Read the rest of the transcript here, or view the video here.

Tags: conservatives, democrats, freedom of speech, gop, hate speech, liberals, opinion, politics, pundits, radio, More…republicans, television

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When someone else tells one what one already thinks, one doesn't need to think about it anymore.
think the obvious.

Oops, I meant to write "think the opposite."
I feel your pain, but I think you are wrong in assuming that this is somehow new, modern, unique, or unexpected. See this post. These people are certainly not just showing up now that a black man is in the White House. They've always been with us, and they were more accepted back then, I think, than they are now. The reason their rhetoric seems so much more controversial is that many people no longer find it acceptable. Which is, of course, a good thing.
If Glenn Beck had hemorrhoid surgergy, wouldn't that be considered doctor-assisted suicide?
Good one. I always considered the Bush White House to be an enema factory.
When the hell did he get so much better at acting? Damn.
Well, I don't follow his behavior and words closely enough to comment one way or the other on him, but I suspect that he probably is.

Also, just because a person "not believe biological differences between other races in intelligent or other physical attributes," does not mean that that person is not a racist. I believe there are different manifestations and roots of racism. A person may acknowledge that blacks, for example, are fully-fledged US citizens with equal rights, and yet still have racist attitudes.
I'll read this as soon as I can.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service