I'm new here and new to atheism. I was a fundamentalist about 5 years back, and spent the last 5 years on the fringe of very liberal Christianity / deism / bare bones theism. For some reason I went back to church on easter Friday (for the first time in many years) and realised I no longer believe ANY of it - including the "personal God". I don't believe anything anymore. This isn't a new or sudden thing, my beliefs have been slowly eroding for years. I haven't prayed for 3-4 years. So what now - anyone got any sage advice about rebuilding your worldview sans theism? 

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the site

Since you are new to Atheism, you still have some deeply rooted religious programming to eliminate from your mind. Believe me, I have been on the road toward being an Atheist for almost 20 years. I still find old thoughts and feelings that are rooted in Christianity that I need to weed out.

My first piece of advice is to get some good books Atheist/Humanist thinkers. I would recommend Christopher Hitchins and Richard Dawkins just to name a couple. There are more than you think. 

Second, look for a group near you. I found a local group about 25 miles away, but that is close considering the rural area I live in. It helps to have friends you can meet up with in person. With that said, I found my group on MeetUp.Com. 

Third, find some podcasts. They have great guests and you get the news on what is happening in the secular world as well as news of events and conferences you might be interested in attending. 

And finally, don't be too concerned about "coming out" to everyone or to anyone right away. I'm just now coming out as I get more involved with the movement. It's a part of my own personal worldview that has been developing for years. I'd like to see a world where everyone accepts everyone else regardless of race, sexual orientation, culture, belief in a god, or godless, etc. 

I'm new on this site too. I found it while looking for some books to teach my grandson, who is 5, about evolution.

Oh sure. My main advice? Nothing cures the blues like exercise. Get out there and get some do gooding done. Help other atheists and secularists claim our place in culture and civilization.

And cheer up. You were wrong. So what? I was wrong once. Autumn of 1977. Taught me everything there is to know about humility it did.

You did what anyone can do which is change your direction based on your new beliefs. I'm guessing that as you grow further and further away from the artificial constraints of your previous world view the more you will come to understand that who you were is little different from who you are now and that your place and function in the world is exactly the same, regardless of God or not, even if your community is not the same.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service