Every New Years' I try to think of what needs changing, what went well, what went wrong.  It's a debrief for the year.  

A lot changed this year.  Not sure of what to resolved yet.  My resolutions are not so much a promise of what to do, but a 'regroup', usually fine tuning and redirecting.  In the past, it's led to moving to a different city, life changes, and career changes.  Mostly not so dramatic.

This year?  Too soon to say.  Time to start thinking about it.

My biggest challenges are too much work, and trying to do too much.  So maybe I'll work on focus.  Oh, and the new project is already decided, as I've mentioned elsewhere, beekeeping.  

You?

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beekeeping!  That's awesome! :)  I don't really want to make the traditional, I'll lose weight, exercise more, etc. resolutions.  This is just going to be the year of seeing what I do next.  I homeschooled my son for 10 years, and he's in college and works now (he lives at home), and my daughter goes away to a University.  I will just be on the lookout for what I want to do with this next phase of my life. I'm not going to pressure myself. 

Good luck with your beekeeping Sentient!  I've always thought that would be a neat thing to do!~ Melinda

Plus you get to wear the awesome beekeeper outfit!

My wife used to be a beekeeper. She still has the suit, but she actually rarely wore it (bees just love her to death).

As for New Year's Resolutions, I resolved many years ago never to make them.

I do like Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) version of the Serenity Prayer though: "The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." That would make a good New Year's Resolution.

Last year I resolved to learn to make tamales.  It didn 't happen.  That will go on this year's list too.

Even though it's not new years yet, I bought the hive and gear yesterday.  There is a beekeeping store in Portland.  Who would have thought that?  I have a couple of beekeeping books I am reading, and reserved a bee colony from another bee store near Portland.  So that might actually happen.

The biggest challenge for me is work/life balance.  I wish I could resolve something about that, but it's hard to think of something.  Having some interesting things to escape to, mentally, is part of trying to make that fo betterl

Melinda, it sounds like you are at a crossroads, but to what?  "The year of seeing what I do next" certainly sounds exciting!  Keep us posted!

Thanks Sentient!  I have a few chronic health issues that will prevent me from doing certain things, although I am far from 'disabled', they are things that make my life less pleasant.  It will be a challenge to find something to do that is compatible with my 'limitations.' 

Maybe I will have a year of just being a homemaker, being the 'home-base' who takes care of my family and pets from home, available to help with just a call, etc... I enjoy knowing that I'm making my family's individual lives easier by taking care of little things they need to have done so that they can go to work &/or school and not have to worry about appt.'s, errands, meals, etc. 

I KNOW I will read a lot, because I already do.  So, we will see!

Same as James Kz. Made a resolution about two decades ago never to make another resolution. I'm not trying to be flippant. But, it's kind of like the politician who signed Grover Nordquist's  pledge for no taxes - ever, never, till the end of time, cross my heart and hope to die. Now, some of those politicians who are not complete invertebrates, are realizing what a corner they boxed themselves into. I prefer to keep my personal options open. You never know when you might just have to change.

By the way, good luck with bee keeping. If anything, you're example has me thinking about getting back into vegetable gardening. Been a while, and I do like the end products.

Pat, I'm about to turn eighty two and beat you to that no-more-resolutions resolution by a couple of decades. Saying so still occasionally results in discussions, which I welcome.

I don't wait for the end of the year.

I hereby resolve to try to grow a little patch of corn again this year, and to get the soil sample in on time so that maybe it'll turn out better than last season.

}}}}

Cool!  A man after my own heart!

I'm not a great fan of New Year's resolutions, mostly because I'm supposedly obliged to make them at a time when I may or may not feel moved to resolve anything, then later to take action to fulfill those resolutions when the time is presumably propitious to do so.  To this I respond as Vice President Joe Biden did so popularly during his debate with Paul Ryan:

Malarkey.

I submit that creating such resolutions artificially is in too many cases creating a self-fulfilling failure, and I see no point in participating in such a counterproductive activity.  I act on things needing action as and how I see a need and feel the desire to engage in such action.  Doing so when I am sufficiently moved to do so strikes me as being not just infinitely more effective but more HONEST, and that is my personal preference.

I love your beekeeping plan. It's very much needed.

I resolve not to make any resolutions. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.

Try to be better at anything I set out to do.

Steph, that's as good a resolution as any!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service