Hello, I just joined this site today but I have considered myself an atheist for almost 10 years. I am 31 years old and live near Chicago, formerly from Michigan. I was raised catholic and was forced to go to church every Sunday until I was 16 then I got a job where I had to work every Sunday morning (thank you!).

I always hated church and religion but I still believed some of the BS. To be honest, I had never heard of an atheist or agnostic and I never knew anyone that was non-religious when I was younger. Around the age of 22 I started hearing this term "atheist" and I felt that it was a good way to describe my belief (or non-belief).

Probably the biggest factor in me identification with atheism has been through music. When I started listening to bands like Bad Religion and NOFX, a lot of their songs were anti-religion and pro-atheism...it really helped to convince me that I was on the right path.

I have been openly atheist for a long time, I don't try to hide it and I'm proud to be an atheist American!

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice to meet you! I hope you enjoy the site.

Hi! Welcome to the crowd. We're really nice people . . .

Hey! I am originally from Michigan too, and my mother now lives in Chicago. She is a musician at O'Hare, if you've been by there in the last couple years.

Welcome Alec and since you hail from Michigan are you a upper or a troll..

Welcome, Alec. Congratulations on being an open, proud and atheist American.

Welcome, glad to have you here

Welcome, and congratulations on your pride to be who you are.  I call myself Humanist, or if pressed agnostic, but I realized a while back that, when it comes to the god of Abraham and Isaac, I'm an atheist -- I not only don't worship him; I wouldn't even like him.  Whatever you want to talk about, somebody here will chime in and agree, set you straight, or both.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service