http://www.businessinsider.com/new-harris-poll-on-religion-in-ameri...

sorry for all the posts today but it's been an interesting news day.  i'm not trying to hog the front page here, but this is just too good of news not to post:

A new Harris Poll released today reveals that only 74% of Americans believe in God, an 8% decline since 2009.

In another decline, only 54% of Americans are now "absolutely certain" in God's existence, a 12% decrease over the last decade.

• 23% of Americans say they are "not at all" religious, a figure that has nearly doubled since 2007, when it was 12%

check it out folks, this is great news!

Views: 264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent.  Rationality grows, delusion slows.

Wonderful!!! It is easy to get depressed by all the negative news. We also need to have a balance of news that presents what overall trends are occurring. Unfortunately good news is under reported. It takes effort to try and keep a realistic perspective. We need to publish more stories like this on this site!  To quote John Stuart Mill, "We may not live in an enlightened age, but we live in an age of enlightenment."

I wonder how the internet will effect the spread of Atheism? It is a powerful tool of communication and I suspect it will expose more people to a greater variety of views. I cannot help but think this will cause Atheism to grow exponentially as more people are exposed to the thoughts of Atheists and it becomes increasingly difficult for religious institutions to control the exposure of the populace to questioning minds.

I'd be careful of that thought.  The problem with the internet and more specifically, search engines, is that, more and more, it's gearing itself to giving the customer what he wants ... EXACTLY what he wants ... and nothing he doesn't.

You might want to have a look at this little goodie that showed up in my inbox this AM.  Makes for fascinating if disturbing reading.

Very good point, Loren.  I complain often that religious types limit themselves to religious writings and apologetics that they are almost poster children for confirmation bias.

We should make every attempt to ensure that we don't fall into that trap as well.

This is all good news, and in my opinion, it has to do with information readily available from the Internet. Answers to any question comes more quickly today than ever before, so if you have the right mindset, and you are not lazy, you become smarter. "The bible tells me so" type answers are for the most part, not backed up by Internet searches that tie all the information together that you were searching for. We can thank Thor that the Internet is not a "christian backed effort" and be glad that every school today uses the Internet.

Don't you find more freedom of thought on the internet? The universities I attended in Ontario all seemed to have prevailing ideologies. Whenever I took courses at the Ontario Institute of Education I had a sense I was being indoctrinated. Some of the teachers I worked with referred to OISE as the Ministry of Political Correctness. All self perpetuating corporations seem to be vulnerable to this virus.

On the net I often find the healthy scepticism lacking on some campuses of Ontario universities. I especially enjoy reading the columnists on the internet version of the Globe and Mail. There is also more disrespect and irresponsible opinion, but I consider that an unfortunate side effect of freedom. There will often be those who mistake freedom for licence. I make an effort to be respectful and confront those who are not.

America, Ireland, Philippines all are moving in the same direction. Good going.

This is fantastic news!  Did you notice the Echo groups--18 to 36--had the lowest religious & pseudo-science belief?  This is so-o-o encouraging!  I think the Atheist Out-Movement is working!!!

yes Sharon, it is very good news.  but we still have a long way to go.  to wit:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/12/the-last-taboo-athei...

great article about atheism being the "last taboo".  how absurd that, of all things, atheism is still so politically toxic.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service