I have realized fairly recently that the state I live in harbors next to zero percent of the population as atheists.... Non-theists, agnostics or the like. This state is completely overrun with zealous, religious fanatics.

I'd like to extend an invitation to all non-theists, regardless of state to stay in touch. I could use some support out here.... Feeling completely surrounded by hypocrisy, here.

Hope the day finds you all well!

Tags: Albuquerque, Fe, Mexico, NM, New, Santa

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keep talking talking to people about all the non-sense in the Bible so they can see it's not real.

Yeah!

Welcome. Cory. I'm from a state that's religion crazy too. I find alot of comfort and like minded people on AN.
I hope you will too..

I have been, the responses this discussion has received have been amazing! Thanks!

Hi Cory, sorry to hear that you are finding it hard to come across more non-believers in New Mexico. I was born there and still have friends and family who live there, and always felt it was a pretty "live and let live" place. Hopefully you will start to meet aome more nonbelievers there. You definitely have a lot of us here!

Thank you. Yeah, I hope to find more people around here, but if not... There is this community!

Not so bad here.... But that topic makes people shut down, for sure.

try this:

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/tell-someone-new-you-re-an...

maybe you'll find out there are more than you think.  or if it's as bad as you say, you'll be thrown into a psych facility.  tough call.  

i told this nurse (i work with a lot of nurses) who i've only known a few weeks that i'm an atheist.  she said she was too, but she was drunk, and the next day said she simply "believes in a higher power".  which is probably bullshit, but still...

lol! Maybe!

Yeah.... My 'higher power' is the battery on the ISS. But that does mean I believe something, I suppose! haha

Cory, to what do you attribute the unusually high percentage of “believers” in New Mexico?

I'd say lack of things to do. People here have work, church, and that's about it. 

I'd also say peer pressure, everyone and their mother seems to try to get me to join one church or another lol

Hi Cory...so nice  to  meet you and welcome  to Atheist Nexus....I am fairly new to this site and   to being  an Atheist....It all started  when I googled  Atheism and  learned  about  Humanism...They sent me a book  titled Non Believer Nation  by  David  Niose....Wow... it opened  my eyes to  non Theism and answered  all my questions...I finally  felt  like  I belonged....Since then  I became  obsessed  with  intermingling  with  fellow  Atheists/Humanists  and  came across  this  site...It is amazing   how many  forums  and  blogs  are here and how easy  it is  to reply.......I strongly encourage you to peruse the site and read  the various  forums and blogs....You will learn so much and get to know  a  diverse  group  of wonderful  Atheists  like  yourself.....People  from all over  the world  are members  which  makes  it  all the  more  rewarding........There is even  a chatroom   which you may want to explore....I am  very sorry that  you  live in  such a state that  treats  Atheists  in such a negative way.....But just remember  you will have plenty  of like minded  people here who  will befriend you and  welcome  you..........See you soon.........

Thank you! 

And welcome, to enlightened thinking and to one of the most awesome sites out there! And thanks for the kind words, especially.

If you don't mind, one book I highly recommend to everyone is Carl Sagan's 'A demon haunted world: science as a candle in the dark'... Very awesome book!

And as you can see, my post got tons of responses.... that's what I love about this site. On failbook or any other social media site, I'd have only incurred the wrath of however many 'friends' I had added. Here, people offer support without even having to know me! This is truly an awesome site, friend. So again, welcome.... Ever need anything you let me know.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service