A National Geographic article discussing an ancient burial find: 

The carefully interred remains of a human and a cat were found buried with seashells, polished stones, and other decorative artifacts in a 9,500-year-old grave site on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus. This new find, from the Neolithic village of Shillourokambos, predates early Egyptian art depicting cats by 4,000 years or more.

Tags: ancient, cat, feline, prehistoric

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

So it's not just Egypt!
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. And today's cats have not forgotten this."

Don't remember where I heard that but it rings truer now than ever!
Fred, I think this group might just qualify as the Atheist Cat Goddess Of Teasing Believers website.
Wait!
Love the LOL Ruth!
I was pretty excited when i read this article a few years ago. It's a good addition.
Cats are the militant atheists of the animal world. For them, being a god is so yesterday!

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods."
— Christopher Hitchens (The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer)
You're probably right and it makes perfect sense. My cats only have usage of me for topping off the food bowl and opening closed doors for them!

As for me, I'm genetically unable to resist a kitten, so whatever ape or cave woman I'm related to passed those genes on down to me!
Heh. Me too. About the only time I apply the word "cute" is to cats and kittens.
As for me, I'm genetically unable to resist a kitten, so whatever ape or cave woman I'm related to passed those genes on down to me!

While I'm the daughter of a man totally indifferent to cats and a woman who was literally phobic of being touched by them.

So somehow my kitten-cuddling genes must have skipped a generation.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods."
— Christopher Hitchens (The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-believer)

I've always sooooo loved that very true observation!
Christopher Hitchens is spot-on.  Cats never slavishly follow humans - humans follow them!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service