If you find something on Netflix that you think would be of interest to the nontheist community, please post it here! Of course, people without Netflix accounts can also browse the list, since most of these suggestions will probably be on TV where you live or readily available on DVD at a public library, or video store. Some of them might even be available online, like the one I'm going to suggest.

Series: NOVA
Title: Becoming Human (3 parts)
Genre: Documentary--Human Evolution
Synopsis: Explores the evolution of early hominids into modern humans.
Review: I found this as a three part series on Netflix. I had been looking for a good documentary series on human evolution and so far had been disappointed with what I had found. When I found this NOVA special, I knew I probably wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't. It was great to see computer graphics representations of our hominid ancestors, instead of humans in ape and cave man costumes. They take time to explain concepts and how certain conclusions were arrived at instead of simply asserting facts. I especially liked the high definition close ups of the skulls and bones--you really see how a fossil is different from a bone.

The great thing about this series is you can watch it online for free. Watch Part one here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/becoming-human-part-1.html

Tags: media, netflix, reviews

Views: 3320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Film: Please Vote for Me
Genre: Documentary-Politics
Synopsis: What happens when democracy comes to China in a 3rd grade class election
Review: Very interesting. The whole setup starts as a neat question: How would 3rd graders handle democracy, an idea that is very foreign to them. From there, we dive into the lives of the three children running for the position of class monitor. Despite the simple setup, we end up getting a very complex look at both the Chinese middle class and politics in general. The children resort to name calling, bribes, disruption, and intimidation, all classic hallmarks of American style democracy. Their home lives add a lot of color to these kids, and you can see where certain ideas of theirs come from. (note: a lot of doting done for the two male students. Not a whole lot on the little girl) A neat little microcosm, reflecting darkly our own system. Didn't convert me to communism, but it was cool seeing the same tactics employed by both career politicians and 8 year old kids.
official site
I saw this film in government class, and I can vouch for its goodness. It's very interesting to watch although I saw it as more of a commentary of the Chinese perspective on democracy in a totalitarian system rather than drawing parallels to what we have. Not that I disagree with you on that point, I just watched it from a different approach.
Have watched this NOVA series twice now on PBS, & leared a lot. If it repeats again, I'll watch again, & again. Good stuff!!!
Ironman oh man...

J Depp waaaahhhht?
http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=deadman

you can use your PS3!?
netfluxudog!?
Series: Walking with...
Title: Walking with Cavemen (2 parts)
Genre: Documentary--Human Evolution
Synopsis: This two part series uses dramatic acting to tell the story of the evolution of uniquely human traits.
Review: Okay, ignore what I said about guys in ape costumes in my review of Becoming Human, this was done very well. The characters act out events in human history that lead to an important developments that put us on that path to being so unique from other animals. I enjoyed part 2 rather more than part 1 but both are a visual and dramatic treat. I don't have any kids, but I imagine myself liking this when I was 11 or 12.
'Saved!' 2004 dark comedy on xtian school/institutions
I watched Jesus Camp on Netflix. I watched Jonestown which is about Jim Jones on American Experience at PBS online. Yesterday, I watched a Biography special on David Koresh on Hulu. These are all about religious insanity - naturally.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched Lord Save Us From Your followers on Hulu. It explains why people don't like xains. Unfortunately, the guy who did the documentary was a super xain, so the end sucked, but otherwise, I pretty much enjoyed it.

if science is your bag, Scientific American Frontiers and NOVA are all available online at PBS. If I remember correctly, Alan Alda, the host of SAF, is an atheist.

Hulu has a treasure trove of documentaries. I often find stuff I am interested in there.
I haven't seen SAF in years but my dad and I were addicted to that show based on a mutual love of science and Alan Alda. I'm going to have to go watch it now! :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service