Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos

Neil deGrasse Tyson came out swinging when evangelical types complained that the TV show, Cosmos, which presents the evolution-based theory of how the universe came into being, ought have a few scenes explaining "an alternative theory," creationism. DeGrasse had a brilliant retort: “You don’t talk about the spherical Earth with NASA, and then say let’s give equal time to the flat Earthers." 

Views: 1076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The great noodly monster is mentioned in this Amazon review of the kids' book Billions of Years, Amazing Changes -- which could serve as an introduction to evolution for adults!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ZDNM1KVUTJWZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2...

It's currently the "most helpful critical review" -- GOOD! Better that it be highlighted in the side-by-side reviews than the religionist who called the book "complete drivel". Maybe that was the purpose of giving the book three stars out of five. :-)

I think this is the reason for the reviewer giving the book only 3 stars:

"Unfortunately, Rosalind Franklin's essential contributions towards understanding the double helix structure of DNA were overlooked, as often happens with Watson and Crick getting all the credit."

Wonderful book, author and graphic artist. Thanks for the lead! 

As a diabetic, I have to avoid all kinds of pasta.  And I was also born with a faulty "need-to-worship" gene. 

I have been looking at astronomical art and photographs for most of my life, and DO experience a feeling of awe and wonder, but can't even imagine kneeling and singing the praises of the Big Bang, or the mono-bloc that preceded it.  (Going to Catholic weddings was always embarrassing for me....)

When I was 10 years old I told my parents that I wanted a "day off" on Sundays (I had dance classes every effing day after school, and all day on Saturdays), and wasn't going to go to Sunday school or church anymore.  They let me get away with it!

Wow!  Gotta give your parents credit for that.  My mother fussed even when I was college age when I said I didn't want to attend church.

I think my dad was a closeted atheist; he only went to church to establish his standing in what was then a small community.  Mother grew up in Oklahoma, and had fundie tendencies, but didn't make a big deal of it.

They both knew that I thought the stuff we were taught in Sunday school was candy-ass.

They have not isolated a need to worship gene any more than they have isolated a gay gene. Everyone I have read, including Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens, &c. claim that research shows only that we are god-oriented both by birth and by parental authority, a matter of nature AND nurture. That is why the anti-hereditary religion people struggle so hard. We are born wanting to believe (hard wired into the species), and then our parents either disillusion us or enslave us into whatever religion binds their reason. Now that I think about it, it seems to me that this is true of sexual orientation as well. Toward the end of his life, Freud dropped his Oedipul theory and subscribed to that of his colleague, Wilhelm Fleiss, who said that we are born essentially bisexual.

If they didn't put so much salt in the ramen seasoning I would eat it more often.

Buy plain ramen noodles, and cook them in a broth of your choice.  (The problem for me is that they make even the plain noodles with MSG...heart palpitations and headaches....gah!)

Aren't you saying, buy any flavor ramen and just don't use the envelope of seasonings. Blaaaaah!  I don't have problems with MSG and hear it is an actual allergy. It is the salt I dislike. The noodles by themselves are available at the Oriental Food Store here in any amount. They have a whole row of ramen goods.

No, I was saying, buy the plain noodles without the seasoning packets at all.  I can get them at the local supermarkets, but we do have many Japanese and Koreans living and working here.  

Armenians, Syrians, and Iranians, too. 

Interesting mix.

Hear, hear! I use "amen" in that sense as well, "Absolutely!" "Truly!" "I believe it!" "What s/he said!"

(That in fact is where the word came from, Hebrew for "truth, certainty". Etymonline is great!)

No spooks needed, as far as I'm concerned.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service