Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos

Neil deGrasse Tyson came out swinging when evangelical types complained that the TV show, Cosmos, which presents the evolution-based theory of how the universe came into being, ought have a few scenes explaining "an alternative theory," creationism. DeGrasse had a brilliant retort: “You don’t talk about the spherical Earth with NASA, and then say let’s give equal time to the flat Earthers." 

Views: 1041

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, she's paying rapt attention.  In her heart she is NOT anti-science; this is an internal war she continually fights with herself, and I stay out of it. 

She's not ignorant, but she will quote buybull verses, and talk with her JW friends (the only friends she has now) about what Moses supposedly did, and all that rot.  She loves talking to other doorbell-ringers about "Jesus," another fictional character.  (But freaks out if I mention anything about Harry Potter.)  She has a memory like a steel trap, probably has the entire buybull memorized by now.    And then she'll turn around and say something sensible about basic chemistry or physics.

I sometimes think she's trying to hang onto her religion by the skin of her teeth.

It's very confusing.  For me.

This actually sounds like a positive Felaine, so hopefully things can be better for the both of you.

Thank you.  If they stay the same, that will be fine...she's almost 70, and I'm 5 years older, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for any changes.

Sounds good Felaine.  Hoping for the best for you in your relationship with your Aspie JW sister.

@sk, I wish my family would watch. They really believe the show is the devil's doings. Much like supreme court un - justice Scallia (sp)? ranted about on the interview that was posted on AN.

k.h. ky, Antonin Scalia IS the devil.

Yes, unfortunately.......my son-in-law, (& therefore my gullible daughter), among them. I was hoping that at least one of them would watch Cosmos, but they've gotten rid of their tv, their computer, & even their house telephone. They exclusively use an iphone & the kids aren't allowed. 

That is a brilliant reply! Chalk up several points here for Neal. I knew there was a reason that I liked this man!

Could they be reminded more by including Lamarck's theory of use and disuse?  LOL

Important point, people: Cosmos runs only 13 episodes, or something thereabouts.  After that, Fox goes back to its usual drivel and eventually, the conversation about it dies down among those who haven't the dedication or interest that we have.  I suppose one could argue that the people may need a rest after something as intensely factual and compelling as Cosmos, but the fact is that eventually, there should be followup.

Perhaps this is a topic for a separate discussion, but how do we keep the momentum rolling after Neil deGrasse Tyson has left the immediate consciousness of the general public?  How can we distract them again from Long Island Medium and Nostradamus?  They WILL go right back to those, given a chance; indeed, some of them haven't left them.

The floor is open for discussion.

Loren, I agree, this will make a good topic for a separate discussion. In the meantime, We now face an even more daunting challenge with the Supreme Court, in all their wisdom, allow money to buy our elections. Therefore, we have to be intelligent, persistent and determined more than ever before. 

* Demand and expect explanations for how religious can justify the mystical stories of their faiths; 

* Hold religious accountable for current evidence of corruption in the church;

* Take away tax breaks for religious property and income; 

* Ask the tough questions; 

* Stop using terms of being against anything and find a term that is pro-...  whatever;

* Find and expose the joys of being a secularist, or whatever label one wants to use;

* Organize secularists only to the point of joining forces against a common challenge;

* Think creatively of ways to support skepticism; 

* Take positive action and let it be known as a skeptic, publicly;

* Look for ways to celebrate being a skeptic;

* Sing, dance, drum, potluck, wear T-shirts in celebration of skepticism;

* Patronize businesses of secularists; 

* Take on the tough problems like hunger, homelessness, ignorance, health care, no jobs, unemployment, family violence, The Dominator Society; 

* Brainstorm for more/other ways to reveal the benefits of secularism.  

* Use Riane Eisler's The Caring Economy Campaign program;

* Use Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed

* Use Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals 

First task, it seems to me, is to come to some kind of agreement of a term that is positive, pro-active, not re-active, and that gives a feeling of triumph, success, and self-respect. 

Extreme wealth, Grace Cathedral, L.A. CA 

Extreme poverty, food lines  

With the way re-runs are presented, may this will re-run a few times & capture some more audience. I know for sure if this comes out on dvd.....I'm buyin'!!!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service