From God Discussion, that blog of "What Gun Would Jesus Buy": (full listing of church shootings, far more than school shootings, at link) - http://www.goddiscussion.com/106166/we-need-more-god-in-church-or-c...

When the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary school occurred, it shook the nation. Immediately afterwards, prominent "men of God" Mike Huckabee, James Dobson, and the AFA's Bryan Fischer immediately, and without regard for the families pronounced it as fact that the reason why this school shooting had occurred was because God was not allowed in school–a reference to the myth that prayer is not allowed in schools, which many Americans believe and were echoing after the incident.

Using their logic, I have compiled a list of church shootings, and have come to the conclusion that God was not allowed in the following churches. Stay away from them, and only go to church where no shootings have occurred because that's where God will be. Unfortunately, there might be a problem, because shootings have happened in nearly every faith: Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, Amish, Greek Orthodox, Evangelical, Unitarian,Mormon, the list goes on. Interestingly, shootings in evangelical churches seem to take up most of the list. Pray harder, evangelicals, because apparently God isn't in your church enough. Maybe we should legislate prayer in churches, in order to force God to be there! Or maybe……God doesn't like you? Hey. Just using your logic there. Don't shoot the messenger.

There's even Scriptural back up for having guns in church. Just like evangelicals want teachers to pack a gun. Priests and pastors with guns! What fun!

Bob Unruh of World Net Daily said in 2007 that churches ought to arm themselves, so I want to see pastors packing those guns like you want teachers to pack weapons! Bryan Fischer of the AFA says that AR15's are just a "fancy pants hunting rifle " so if he as a man of God approves, you better follow Scripture and make your pastor get one! The below list is what happens when you don't follow God's advice on the subject because after all, as Unruh says:

“Self-defense is not just a right, but a Christian duty. Jesus told his followers, ‘if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one,’” said Cass. “Christians are not to be a soft target for the hateful and deranged. Church leaders have a duty not to allow a crazed gunman to come and shoot up their congregation.

Views: 565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That Jesus...A real son of a gun.

Ha!

Better arm the kids against the pedophiles who are priests,ministers, etc. in some churches too.

Then we might end up with a big shortage of priests and ministers (and youth pastors - seems almost synonymous with sexual predator).  

From the above OP:

" “Self-defense is not just a right, but a Christian duty. Jesus told his followers, ‘if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one,’” said Cass. “Christians are not to be a soft target for the hateful and deranged. Church leaders have a duty not to allow a crazed gunman to come and shoot up their congregation. "

I suppose this means we've concluded our discussion regarding the sixth commandment. I don't know why it bothers me that it is increasingly iterpreted as "thou shalt not murder", rather than "thou shalt not kill". I don't have time to look this up right now so maybe someone knowledgeable could tell me if the wording in the original documents is correctly interpreted as "murder" rather than "kill".

Maybe because we're such a litigious society we needed a loophole. Going back further, to the old testament, there is "murder" and there is genocidal killing with cause which, even though you were the only one who heard the booming voice, means you've been given the green light by the big guy to wipe out your enemy. This works especially well if you're one of the chosen ones. Of course the dead couldn't be chosen because well...they're dead, right?

Maybe this was why I was hesitant to go halfway around the world to attack Iraq. Doesn't that kind of pre-emptive attack require a premeditation that implies murder? Hmm...just what does "turn the other cheek" mean anyway? Not that I run my life that way, I'm just confused by chicken hawk theists.

Hilarious to think of pastors packing guns!  They might get the donation plates filled faster.

You make so many excellent points it's hard to choose.   But by that last paragraph, shouldn't christians be carrying swords, not guns?  JesusNinja!

Cough up your tithe or I'll fill ya with lead.

John G's comment is cute.

Now I don't see anywhere in the New Testament Jesus or his apostles telling preachers that they need to arm themselves. Perhaps I just missed it and need to get the New Revised Version of the NRA Testament, available at the gun shop (which used to be a Catholic Church) around the corner from my house.

What a bunch of baloney. So illogical in their thinking. So god is not in their church and pack a gun. What crap. I think they are just making up excuses.

Gabrielle Giffords today pointed out in an op-ed piece in USA Today that as long as the NRA holds Congress as a captive agency with $100M of lobbying money, it is not suprising that a Federal judge and one of their own (her) and several others could be gunned down two yeas ago today, sixteen other mass shootings since then, and still Congress does nothing.

So she is forming an organisation (with her own money) to counter the NRA's lobbying presence in Congress. She points out that as long as the NRA is the largest lobby group in America nothing will change, regardless of what the people actually want.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/opinion/1816383?preferredArticle...

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service