Need advice and info on care, feeding, and release methods for rescued Mallard 3 day old ducklings.

An old fellow on a bicycle came to my house yesterday, with 5 ducklings rescued from the middle of a road.  There was no mother around.  Neighborhood kids had directed him to my door.   I've done some research on feeding, but I want very much to prepare them for eventual release.  Of course, I know I can't just dump them in some pond when they get big.  Has any of you had experience in wild duck rescue?  I have them inside now, and have a 10 x 10 foot dog pen for them when they no longer  need an external heat source.  All advice welcomed!

Tags: animals, birds, ducklings, ducks, humane, rescue, vegan, vegetaarian, wildlife

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely Mallard picture Napoleon!

Dogly's a vegan and probably really mad at you, if only Dogly had the energy to type as much. This one seems useful: http://lolasmith777.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Raise-Baby-Ducklings  although people should be aware that after 16 weeks you might as well keep the damn thing as a pet.

Cool link Lorryslorrys.

Thank you all again for good tips, and both the caring, and the culinary advice.  Beautiful picture, Napoleon!  This is what I have been feeding them:  First a gruel of ground oatmeal, whole wheat, corn, walnuts. (I stopped the walnuts after I was told they can't digest them well.)  Then hard boiled egg bits coated with nutritional yeast.  Minced parsley and greens.  Raspberries.  Minced shrimp.  

I weighed them yesterday - less than 2 g ! 

I would think a local feed store would have duck feed.  I know that where I live, a number of farmers actually raise domesticated ducks - mostly Muscovy breed. Anyway, the folks at the feed store could probably put you in touch with a local breeder, who could tell you exactly what they need in terms of not only food, but shelter, proper temperature, etc.  Old time farmers are a great resource of knowledge. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
9 minutes ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
36 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
50 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
2 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
2 hours ago
Ceil replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
2 hours ago
Čenek Sekavec commented on BIPLAB DAS's photo
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service