Why did man invent religions, deities, angels etc. As I don't think our fore-fathers & mothers were stupid, I think they had good reasons. Beside strong companions, someone to blame and  patches in our knowledge, I can believe that by making simple rules we were helped in decision-making. I'll like views on that.

Views: 567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Matt, you're not going to tell us what the more that's to it?

Well, yes, I posted it prior to my previous post in response to Joan Denoo on Page 2.

Who says man wrote the old testament?  This planet is owned by Satan, the illuminated one, gnostic, lucifer, jesus, jehovah, yahweh, etc, etc.  I can not say if satan is aliens or is a inter dimensional being only that it was written by whomever owns and controls this planet now.  Look up Lloyd Pie (sic) on youtube if you don't believe me.  And no I do not believe in satan, i know that we were genetically engineered to be slaves and all one has to do to be a slave is to believe in certainties, such as good, bad, right, wrong or morality, which only makes one an immoral bigot.  Freidrich Nietzsche can explain logical thinking to you.

Dan, I like to think that separating oneself from religious orthodoxy carries a dividend of a divorce from Satan as well.  All this Satan nonsense is just early mankind trying to explain natural phenomena. We evolved from quadruped carnivores.  All the emotions and sins part of that evolutionary baggage still resides deep in the hindbrain.  At one time rage, anger and fear were part of our survival needs.  I like to think we’ll get past juvenile superstition and continue to evolve. 

THERE IS NO DEVIL.  IT’S ALL MYTH.

Your inability to reason is shown by your certainty that I am full of shit, so who do you believe made you so incapable of reason?  If you did not see us as equal nor see yourself as full of shit, you would not be so certain that i am (full of shit).  How does rage and anger help anybody to survive or protect anybody from a hungry predator?  Let me guess, now you are going to deny saying that i have it all wrong compared to you, right?  Reread what YOU said then!

<you would not be so certain that i am (full of shit).>>>

Your words not mine.  I always try to be polite.

I was referring to what Carl Sagan call the R-Complex or Reptilian Factor.  What William Golding calls Jack, if you read the Lord of the Flies.  

To answer your question, rage, anger and fear have an important place in the Law of the Jungle.  That's what determines the pecking order.

Lol, gee, what an accomplishment, polite disrespect, I am sure your mama is proud.  I asked about rage and anger, not fear, nor does pecking order have much to do with surviving.  Wolves have dominant and submissive compadres except for those on the top and those on the bottom of the pecking order, so are you telling me that wolves use rage and anger to make those determinations or are you justifying primate insecurity instead of answering the question?

I think so too, Ernst.

Cognition evolved and it likely had to start from comprehending simple observations and concepts/frameworks, to gradually build on those and develop the more complex observations and concepts.

Though while many animistic religions were built on very simple observations and concepts concerning those observations. 

Next in the evolution of religion came Polytheism, where animistic spirits/semi-gods, became semi human, as humans cognition developed greater egotism and humans self concept started to put ourselves into the realm of being cared for by the gods, where in animism, the gods/spirits only looked after their specific species and natural phenomenon, like lightning, thunder, etc...

Finally we get to monotheism, the final development of human cognition and egotism, prior to becoming a species that truly understands itself and the natural world around it.

It is the most egotistical of all the evolved religion forms, where humans post themselves into the position of being the prime purpose of the existence of everything.  What was a cognitive evolution into self understanding and knowledge, became an evolution into self delusion and thus the entire environment on Earth has suffered.

Most forms of monotheism did not come from human's quest for knowledge and understanding the observable universe, like animism and polytheism. Monotheism replaced the search for truth and knowledge with IGNORANCE and gives fabricated, self deluded, false answers for everything known to exist at the time.  Basically it went from a natural quest for knowledge to a confidence trick, where if you want knowledge, you must seek he that already knows it all or the Omniscient one, which has already written all you ever need to know in some scripture, somewhere???

Thus Monotheist religions (scams) mostly started as a means of controlling groups of humans to satisfy the narcissistic megalomania of some wannabe tyrant, Abraham, Moses, Muhammad, Zoroaster, etc...  So this form of religious evolution exposed human egotism at it's very worst.

We are at the stage of evolution where we are trying to free ourselves from the shackles of self delusion, such extreme egotism and understand the universe as it really is. Yet, many don't want to get over the previous stage, because most humans are cognitive misers and this new stage of cognitive evolution which you have embarked into means a certain loss of delusional comfort and false certainty that religion offered the pious.

This is my hypothesis.

Which I developed from studying books on anthropology, psychology and neurology.

The last 200,000 years (roughly) of our evolution has been very rapid, where cultural (cognitive) evolution has made massive changes to our species. 

The development of complex language, that can describe and pass on abstract thinking (like religious thought) has been likely the biggest force behind our cultural evolution, which takes leaps and bounds with every new scientific or philosophical break through.

So, yes, we had to crawl a lot before we started running.

Human progress is being hampered by those wanting to cling to our previous cognitive form (religious).

The US need to eject GOP to make any advances in our new cognitive evolution.

I forgot to mention that I also studied philosophy, theology and the history of religion to help formulate my hypothesis posted earlier, b4 my connection crashed, so I didn't get to add those in.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service