My sister is in the process of un-converting from Christianity. Last time I checked, she is at the point where she doesn't know what to believe, but thinks that Xianity doesn't make sense. What should I do to help nudge her over the edge into the light of atheism?

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She will probably come to it naturally.
What 'nudged' you?
I was never a Christian as far back as I can remember. My parents say I was just argumentative as a child.
Ask her to read one of many recent books on atheism. It would help her to decide where she fits.
"Nudge" is the right word, don't push. People like to come to conclusions on their own. I suppose you can just provide yourself as an example of an atheist who is "normal," well-adjusted, not missing anything in life because of lack of religion, etc.
For what reason? I would recommend staying out of it entirely, unless she asks you, and let her explore her spirituality herself, and love her no matter what religion she may end up with.
Agreed.
Totally agree with this.
I don't think it is your job to nudge her. If your sister is intelligent, courageous and truly interested in objective truth (or as close as we can get), she will be an atheist. If she lacks intelligence and/or is ruled by fear and the need to be accepted... she'll be a Christian.
Ask her what questions she has and listen.

If she asks your opinions give them but give her the space to work through it herself with a supportive and understanding shoulder from you.

That I suspect will do more for her self-esteem as one who is doubting than an open campaign of persuasion.
Getting into coercive persuasion is exactly what religious zealots engage in; or have we learned nothing of Jehovah's Witnesses, Morons errr ... Mormons, and Islam.

Give her avenues to information that will edify her cerebral state(s), and it is highly likely, she will come to a proper conclusion of her own volition. Become coercive or antagonistic, and you may put her on the defensive.
1> Ask Questions, let her come up with the answers.
2> Ask her to justify her beliefs with what is repeatedly provable.

This will have the dual effect of letting her decide her 'mode' of atheism, and having an 'honest, i dont know' attitude to anything that isnt scientifically provable.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Don replied to Čenek Sekavec's discussion Asparagus in the group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service