“I was not. I have been, I am not. I am so grateful to have participated in life!”

A beloved cousin died yesterday and we, at a Johnson/Smith/Denoo family get together had a discussion about what we want inscribed on our gravesite. I don't intend to have a gravesite, but will have a marker placed on my mother's grave. I want it to be clear that when I die, my mind, body and emotions change into a different form and return to the atoms from which I evolved. 

Views: 581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael, I am so very sorry to learn of your grandson's death. 

I like your inscription. "If you ever need me just add water."

Sorry to hear about your grandson Michael. 

"If you ever need me just add water."

Michael, I like it.

I might say "Don't You Dare Add Water!"

I like the idea of green burial.
A marker that says That's All Folks!

But the best one 'We are made of starstuff'.

I like "We are made of starstuff".

"Starstuff" works! 

I'm sorry for your loss Joan.

I love the saying you want on your marker.  I saw a headstone online yesterday, and it just said, "Bye!" lol.

I like "Bye!".

A somewhat related topic, if indirectly (and pardon me if this is a distraction, Joan) is the issue of Dying with Dignity, brought up the other day by Seth Andrews on The Thinking Atheist podcast.

Loren, you know I like distractions! The broader the topic, the more fun to explore. I agree about Death with Dignity Act. We were successful in getting physician-assisted suicide into our state, and I fully intend to access that right. We have already gained the right and responsibility of family planning and medical intervention. The individual knows when it is time to end life, not prolong suffering. As for myself, I have had such an incredible and productive life, I don't want to vegetate. As of now, I am fully functioning (well, nicely functioning), and I enjoy every waking moment, pains and all. 

Seth Andrews does an excellent job of bringing ideas to the forefront, especially those ideas that have been defined as forbidden by "polite society".

Thanks for the reminder.

I think that would be an excellent discussion topic. There are various nuances that are not obvious to all. I have participated in death with dignity cases. It seemed like the right thing to do, or I would not have been involved. But there are many things to consider.

Joan....I too  want to  give  my  condolences .....It is  always  difficult  to lose  a loved  one......  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service