“I was not. I have been, I am not. I am so grateful to have participated in life!”

A beloved cousin died yesterday and we, at a Johnson/Smith/Denoo family get together had a discussion about what we want inscribed on our gravesite. I don't intend to have a gravesite, but will have a marker placed on my mother's grave. I want it to be clear that when I die, my mind, body and emotions change into a different form and return to the atoms from which I evolved. 

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joan, my condolences to, on the loss of your cousin.

My plan is natural burial.  In Washington state near the Columbia River Gorge is theWhite Eagle Memorial Preserve, a nature preserve cemetery where the departed are buried in a biodegradable shroud, without preservatives or toxic chemicals, and allowed to merge with the surrounding soil, meadow, ponderosa pine forest.  I don't know if they have markers.  If they do, I would like my favorite Robert Green Ingersoll "Happiness" quotation.   Although the other saying on my profile page is also good:  Traditional Mongolian saying, translated: "Lords hate those who say truth, dogs hate those who ride cattle."  Pat has a better sense of humor than I do.

Carl and Patricia, noble and practical.  I feel like I SHOULD do that, but the formaldehyde is not to my liking.  Who knows, maybe I got my cancer from all of the formaldehyde I breathed in while dissecting people in medical school.  Probably not - if that was the case, a lot more doctors would have this cancer -, but who knows?

Daniel, I like this concept. Thanks for the link. I also like your Robert Green Ingersoll "Happiness" quotation. I'm glad there are more options than the old fashioned pump them full of chemicals and make them look pretty in the casket option. 

Being kept in formaldehyde keeps me from donating to science too. Which is kind of strange since I don't believe anything follows death.

I'll leave no body and have no marker.

I'm still debating the merit of having my ashes scattered. That seems pointless, except the ashes have to go somewhere. I suppose I should consider where they might wind up if I'm not specific. Ehh...back to pointless.

I'm thinking I'll just have a list of GPS coordinates distributed to my friends. Nothing else, just the coordinates. If they choose, they can make use of those places I've enjoyed.

Well, perhaps our beginning is pointless, as is our ending. From where, to where?; or from what to what? 

I like the coordinates idea. 

I want inscribed in mines "died old ,godless, and horny!"XD

Sorry to hear about your cousin, Joan.

The cops killed my grandson in Magnolia, Texas 2 or 3 years ago and I donated my plot down there so he could be buried by his grandmother. I bought that plot in 1986 and don't think I will be buried there now.

In fact, I can be cremated and just have my ashes scattered. In case any remaining relatives don't want to scatter me, and they want to keep me in an urn, let it have this inscription. "If you ever need me just add water."

Michael...that was  a very sincere  gesture  to offer  your gravesite....I don't even have  a gravesite and  may  just  have  my ashes  put in an urn  after  all my organs  are donated to help  those  in  need....

Mike, I'm so sorry about your Grandson! 

Michael, I am so very sorry to learn of your grandson's death. 

I like your inscription. "If you ever need me just add water."

Sorry to hear about your grandson Michael. 

"If you ever need me just add water."

Michael, I like it.

I might say "Don't You Dare Add Water!"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service