My 6 year old daughter's teacher tells the class to pray during the morning announcements. My daughter says they are told to put their heads down on their desk and pray for their families and friends. Considering she goes to public school, I am quite angry.

I decided my immediate approach will be to talk to the teacher about it but I don't know how to do it tactfully. Every time I think I do, I get pissed all over again. (I will NOT mention my personal beliefs because I feel they are irrelevant to the situation.) My boyfriend thinks I should use the approach of saying "I believe that prayer is a personal thing, and I don't believe that it's an appropriate activity for a public classroom of learning" or something like that. What do you guys think?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

School board of x county owes you an apology.
Sorry to have to break it to you my friend but life seldom goes as we've planned;
especially in the case of people keeping their religion/belief in myths etc.. private.
Seems nowdays they're told by their 'leaders' to spread their lies to improve their money scheme.
You know, prayer sells...
hugh wah, yeah reprimand that teacher.
I am nervous because I live in a tiny religious town in Texas and I am literally one of the only black people around.
Do talk to the FFRF. They may be able to contact the school and give them a warning without disclosing who informed them - then you wouldn't be implicated at all. Give them a ring, or send them an email and tell them your position. I hope they'll help.
Thank you!
Do they actually do this? I have had so many problems with my daughters old school but I figured even bringing the issue up with the teacher or school board would cause a huge backlash I'm not sure I want my child to go through. Fortunately there are no issues with our current school.
There is a list of the FFRF's recent court cases here. Litigation is what they do - but I am sure their legal interns would try to negotiate with offenders first.
Thanks Kristy!
Keep a low profile or they may not even pray for your soul before the string you up! Those good Christians have been known to do such things.
That's really helpful advice to a woman who's already isolated and frightened, Walter.
No biggie.
Well, the important part was the "keep a low profile".
If the underdog of the moment had been in the practice of keeping a low profile, today's fascism would be Disneyland in comparison to what would have evolved.

If someone is fundamentally violating your rights, they win by default if you "keep a low profile". That's exactly what they want. Speaking up might get you hurt or worse - but what kind of world do you want to live in?

I am not just preaching. I'm in a similar position and I take the speak-up approach. I get all kinds of BS in the process, but I like who I have to face in the mirror.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
15 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
17 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Climate Concerns
24 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
25 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's photo
32 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
36 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
36 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Joe's discussion New Rule: Students Who Have a Same-Sex Wedding Can’t Be Mad When Their Christian Schools Expel Them For It in the group Atheist News
38 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
41 minutes ago
Dan D updated their profile
42 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
53 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on John B Hodges's blog post The Uncensored Ten Commandments
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service