My 6 year old daughter's teacher tells the class to pray during the morning announcements. My daughter says they are told to put their heads down on their desk and pray for their families and friends. Considering she goes to public school, I am quite angry.

I decided my immediate approach will be to talk to the teacher about it but I don't know how to do it tactfully. Every time I think I do, I get pissed all over again. (I will NOT mention my personal beliefs because I feel they are irrelevant to the situation.) My boyfriend thinks I should use the approach of saying "I believe that prayer is a personal thing, and I don't believe that it's an appropriate activity for a public classroom of learning" or something like that. What do you guys think?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I truly hate living in Texas. I have never been more isolated or treated so badly for being an atheist anywhere else I have lived. I have thought about contacting someone about the pledge of allegiance to the Texas flag. I was pissed the first time I heard it. Have I mentioned that I hate living in Texas?

I do not think that you should address the teacher directly. I am having other problems with my daughters teacher, and my mistake was going to her first. I agree with Kristy about contacting FFRF. Let someone else do the talking and you get to remain anonymous.

I do wish you the best of luck.
Isn't the "under god" part a fairly recent addition?
They added the "under god" in 1957. But they do a separate and "under god" included to the Texas State Flag. Very annoying, but seems to go along with the separatist attitude around here.
But they do a separate and "under god" included to the Texas State Flag.

Wow!

I was not aware of this.
They actually say "God bless the Texas flag." at my daughter's school.
At Gabby's school, it is the same as the pledge to the American flag, but to Texas.
"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

I used to have to say this every day in high school, and yet I had to google it to recall it. XD I've blocked it from my memory somehow.
Yeah, the red-scare brought that on.
The old Porky Pig cartoon shows pre-WWII pledge, see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJRH-gWMP8

the pledge was changed to under god because of a military that had organized faith at the helm... after 9/11 guess who was hired by dry-drunk-god-forgive me bush?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNx98X1PX1Y

money folks
always ask them to keep the non-issues private, that's family not public nor professional
laws are laws, tax money is tax money... welfare is zero's and one's not traditions and mythological heritage be they race based or space based (Mormons do huge numbers on welfare, do the math, not the drama)

it's hard but someone, some reality, has to pull the plug on the faith machine spinning out of control for so many suffering the dementia of it all
Wow Keia,

What a difficult situation to be in - my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine any way of approaching the teacher without having the teacher feel threatened. That could have undesirable repercussions for your daughter.

How is your daughter reacting to the new in-class routine? I suppose it is a nice time to put her head on the desk and close her eyes for a wee break. One could simply discuss with her that when the teacher suggests "prayer", for your daughter it is a time of "introspection and reflection" (or the 6 year old equivalent). No harm for her to think good thoughts about her family and friends while everyone else is "praying" for theirs.

I agree with the earlier writers that staying anonymous is probably best for you and your daughter. Allow an outside advocate to speak on behalf of the law.

best of luck,
it's all about the money now days
can they afford lawyers anymore?
can anybody?
On a less useful note.
You have every right to be pissed. Sometimes it feels like we are the ones being irrational and we are the ones picking the fight, but we are not.
We are in the 4th year of public school and it seems like every year brings something. Usually we have had understanding experiences, but there is that 5% of 'are you kidding me with this' type of people with whom a resolution is not easy or accepted. Good luck with FFRF I hope the help gives some relief.
Texas, why anyone would punish themselves by living there is beyond me.
Attachments:

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service