My 6 year old daughter's teacher tells the class to pray during the morning announcements. My daughter says they are told to put their heads down on their desk and pray for their families and friends. Considering she goes to public school, I am quite angry.

I decided my immediate approach will be to talk to the teacher about it but I don't know how to do it tactfully. Every time I think I do, I get pissed all over again. (I will NOT mention my personal beliefs because I feel they are irrelevant to the situation.) My boyfriend thinks I should use the approach of saying "I believe that prayer is a personal thing, and I don't believe that it's an appropriate activity for a public classroom of learning" or something like that. What do you guys think?

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hahaha, that is fantastic!
I can't help but be a little offended by that Wiley,there are a lot of proud atheists here in Texas

who fight the good fight.I guess we all could just move somewhere else and take the easy way out

but native Texans aren't known for backing down,nope,we'll stay right here and work to make the

great state we grew up in a better place!
Good thing I'm not a native!
I commend you for standing up for your daughter Keia,I just want you to know you are not alone,there are atheist groups all over Texas you can go to for help and advice.
Start with the texas heathens group right here at the nexus.

If you want to live elsewhere that is your choice but I hope you stay,we need you!
Sorry if you took offense.
I really have nothing against Texans,accept when it comes to football. ;)
i don't blame you for being angry......school is to learn how to read write learn how to think and figure things out learn about sceince biology etc etc but not to waste time putting your head on the desk to pray for their families and friends........that should not be a part of the school curriculum! nor should pledging allegiance to flags or singing songs about bombs bursting in air.......in my opinion....best wishes
The teacher still told them to pray. That's way wrong. I would raise some sort of hell.
In this case I think the best way is to beat them at their own game. In the book of Mattew it says to pray in private....

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

Tell them that praying in public is against the bible. That ought to fuck them up for quite a while. And they couldn't object to it because it is said in the bible, LITERALLY. See how the schoolboard reacts when a "real" Christian statement is made and that praying in public is actually against biblical teaching. Call Christians out on their own game they want to pray, even the bible says to do so in private...now if they rebuke that then it just proves how full of shit that they are...and if at this point you get found out as an atheist it won't matter because you got them going against what they are supposed to follow.
Sounds good. This is how my boyfriend though I should approach her. I want to "go there" but I am such a bad liar, especially when emotions are involved. I think I will just contact FFRF and hope I don't have to be involved.
Good one I was trying to remember Matthew 6:5-6. Glad someone did.
You can try this too:
Americans United for Separation of Church and State
518 C St., NE
Washington, D.C. 20002
(202) 466-3234
www.au.org
Yes. Americans United are geared up for exactly this kind of situation. Usually, a letter from them is enough to end unconstitutional practices in schools.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service