I've been an atheist for most of my life. Even as a child of 10 deep down I knew that the stories in the Bible were too fastasical to really be believed. My mother and father sent me and my siblings to church for a while, and my dad, not being too good at reading used to have me read the Bible to him, so I had an early start on learning plenty about the Bible. In my teens I attended church for a while, and even fancied myself called by God to preach, but I became disillusioned with it after about 10 years. In that time, however, I studied the Bible for at least 8 hours every day, so I think it safe to say that I have a good knowledge of the Bible. After my stent as a Christian I tried Wicca, but found that unsatisfactory. From there I tried Zen Buddhism, but just couldn't buy the reincarnation and ultimate Nirvana bit. Then I tried philosophical Taoism, which I still find interesting, but untenable. My last stent with religion was clockwork Deism, but I saw the idea of a God who wound up the universe and then went away as superfluous. Now I have returned to my core atheism, and I am a confirmed and convinced atheist. It makes the most sense. I prefer calling myself an atheist rather than nontheist, but that's just me. And I'm proud to be an atheist. I belong to an atheism group on facebook, and I have an atheism blog on google blogs, on which so far I have posted 50 entries since August 5th 2012. I'm 50 years old, soon to be 51.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice to meet you Anthony, I'm Melinda.  I'll be 46 next month.  I wasn't raised with religion, but "tried" catholicism for a while when my kids were little for my husband's sake.  After our daughter's first communion class I asked her what she thought.  She said, "That jesus-thing sounds like a myth to me."  She was 7.  And that was that. LOL.  Now she is 21, and our son is 18.  They are both Atheists like I am.  I think my husband is more Agnostic, but he agrees with everything I point-out about the absurdities of religion, how a just 'god' could have people suffer the way they do, etc. 

I'm glad you found this site.  It's awesome, lots of great people!  Join some groups and post often!

booklover, your daughter must have been highly intelligent even at the young age of 7.

She was and is Anthony.  She could read by the age of 2.  No one taught her, she just picked it up from being read to, etc.  BUT she cannot do math to save her life! lol

Seems your searching was lengthy.  Perhaps the search is what inspires you.  You might consider atheism to be just a pause in that search, as it is a lack of that very thing you seek.

Nah Asa, as I said, I've basically been an atheist all my life. In all my searching I never found satisfaction in all those endeavors and couldn't really put any credence in them. As for my Christian phase, that was mostly to please my mother because I loved her more than anyone on earth. Now that she's gone I see no reason to keep the charade up.

Hi Anthony and welcome.  Your story sounds like very familiar to me and I'm sure to others here on AN. You are among friends.

John, my mother used to cringe every time I said I did not believe in God, and she would say, Don't say that. So I finally just started keeping my atheism to myself. After she became ill, not long before her death, she started wanting me to read the Bible to her and assure her that she was saved and going to heaven. I couldn't bare telling her that when she died she would just go into nothingness. My mother was a simple woman, and I somehow felt that if I told her that it would frighten her more than the thought of dying itself. So I got my old Bible out and I would read it to her, and I assured her that if she trusted and believed in Jesus as her savior she would be alright. So, while I may have mislead her in that regard, she at least died in peace with the hope that she would be united with my sister who had been murdered in 1995. My mother died in early 2006, and to be quite honest, if I had to do it again I would do the same thing, because I loved my mother dearly, more than anything in this world. I know I'll never see her or my father and sister ever again, and I think of them every day with a mix of sorrow and happiness. Sorrow that I'll never see them again, but happiness that I had them in my life for a time.

I'm sorry you lost your Sister, Mother, and Father Anthony, and your Sister in such a horrible way!  You are very wise, and I think what you did for your Mother was very kind and loving.~Melinda

You made your Mother happy Anthony that's all that counts.

"You made your Mother happy Anthony that's all that counts." Thanks John, I appreciate that.

Welcome, Anthony.  I, too, had very strong doubts at a very early age.  I kept trying to prove my doubts were unfounded since everyone else in my little world believed the myths.  Of course, I could give no credence to the myths so I finally gave up.  I have never been more relieved and satisfied.  It is like a heavy burden lifted off my back.  It is a freeing up of mind and body.  Wow.  Saying that feels good especially on this day.

Lillie, Christians are compelled to hold onto hopes of resurrection, because they cannot bear the thought of death, and Easter is a reminder to them of their own pending resurrection. A lot of people are under the misconception that somehow the dead are aware that they are dead, and that they are sad that they're no longer among the living and that life is going on without them. But being dead is being in the same state that one was in before they were ever conceived, non-existence, nothingness, no awareness, no consciousness, no pain, or fears or worries. To me the thought of death is comforting in a way, and I have no fear of it. I know that after my passing all my suffering in this life will be at an end, and that, indeed, is liberating. It lightens the burden just knowing that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service