So I've always been curious as to what type of music atheists listen to. I realize I am trying to quantify a large group, however, I have found that most critical thinkers tend to look past the top 100 charts to find their music, and usually have an affinity to art music (Classical, Jazz, Metal). So what genres of music do you listen to listen to? What are some of your favorite bands? Who are some of your favorite musicians/composers? Who are some of your favorite atheistic or freethinking bands/musicians?

Tags: Music

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will go through more posts here when I get time, but I don't think my choice of genre is at all influenced by atheism vs. theism. Other than there are a few songs I used to love more than I do now as it's become hard to get past the oppressively religious lyrics. Prince's "The Cross" comes to mind.

I do not like much of anything currently mainstream but I also won't jump on every indie arthouse band just because they're indie arthouse.

I miss Pandora (for some reason, either my Mac or my Alltel wireless won't let me stream it). While it would send me some of the known artists I plug in it would in turn send me some awesome related music from artists I definitely would never have heard of otherwise. The star of that show: P.T. Walkley. Aptly described as "The Kinks covering The White Album, in the 21st century."
I really have likes all over the musical spectrum. Although there are not many pop (top 40) songs that I like or much modern country. I can dig some of the old country though, I like Willie Nelson and few of the classics. My top bands are Widespread Panic, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Beck, Black Crowes, the dead, phish, DMB, Jack Johnson, The John Butler Trio, Antibalas, JJ Cale, Galactic, Bob Marley, the white stripes, the raconteurs, Fleet Foxes. MGMT,radiohead, Ray lamontagne, the shins, the strokes, I guess I should just stop because I could go on for a while.

For me its all about the setting, I love some rap at times, I really love Michael Franti (even is he does have a "higher" power message to some of his music), recently I found the Knux and the Living Legends to be a refreshing hip hop bands and have always had love for OutKast.

I feel dirty for not mentioning Zepplin, the doors, pearl Jam, Nirvana, janes addiction, STP, Snoop & Dre, Tool, and all the Soul music, Al Green, Bill Withers, Curtis Mayfield and Marvin Gaye (and many others) are good at any time, anywhere. Ok I have to stop...
Metal almost always, I am currently listening to Static-X, Slipknot, Machine Head, Napalm Death, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse and pretty much anything else that might destroy my speakers. And since I am among freinds I sometimes sneak in some Christina Aguilera.
Progressive metal like queensryche or nevermore. Classic rock, Guitar Instrumentals, jazz, texas blues, thrash metal, baroque period music.
T O O L is first and foremost for me...They have been one of the most influential force that helped me break free from religion. Undertow and Aenima are my favourite albums, but I love everything they do and stand for.

After that I would say RUSH, which is another huge influence. Then Radiohead, NIN, Floyd, Zeppelin, and Jazz. I love anything that has horns in it...trumpet, sax, the devil lol.

Finally since I am Egyptian, I love Egyptian music and bellydancing.
This question is as strange as asking "What kinds of music do Americans listen to?" but OK.

I listen to the stuff I play on my podcast, Mondo Diablo.

I like 1970's library production music, Italian horror music, Eurolounge, '90's riot grrrl, Bollywood circa 1960-70, Icelandic atmospheric cerebro-pop, 1930's hot-band hotel orchestras, Bulgarian women's choruses, college gleeclubs, Songpoems, Outsider, 20th century russian, Moog, Hobo rhymes, Optigan songs, Malajube, Fanfarlo, Tracky Birthday, Sigur Ros and the Carter family.
First,it's entirely a mood thing.

Begin with Gregorian chants,then on to Classical and light classical.

Jazz and Blues, from the 1920's to the late 60's. Some of the Big Bands Of The 1940's (EG Harry James, Artie Shaw, Xavier Cugat, Duke Ellington, Count Basie) Also consider Sinatra the best popular singer of his generation,and have a lot of his stuff. Also have lot of Orbison,his voice has always awed me.
Not fond of Musicals Generally,although I do like some of the stuff of George Gershwin and Cole Porter. Have never been able sit through an entire opera and would rather eat my own scrotum than attend a ballet.

Rock up to about the mid 1980's.Was never interested in Michael Jackson,although I appreciated the talent, and Madonna has always left me cold..

Lasts 10 years or so I've been exploring older,obscure(to me) music and artists. EG; Django Rheinhardt, Louis Jordan,and only last month I discovered Janis Martin ( called "The Female Elvis")

I draw the line at Rap and Hip Hop,which makes me want to drive a stick through my ear drums. (I think it may be an age thing)
Everything from the awesome flamenco/rock stylings of Rodrigo y Gabriela to the thrash giants like Megadeth, Exodus, Slayer, and Metallica.

This is one of my online playlists and one I put on my profile here.

I also listen to some pop, mostly the female singers, some jazz, a LOT of blues, and a little rap. I've expanded my tastes as I've aged but I still cant dig country pop, gospel, or any other christian music.
I'm all over the place. From Britney Spears to Ladyhawke. Muse to India Arie. Beethoven to Chromeo. I really only avoid country, rap, metal and screamo.
well i listen to Ska (google it), rock, Heavy rock, a little Underground Rap.
I would have to say my favorite artists would be Streetlight Manifesto(Ska), Reel Big Fish(also Ska), Greydon Square(Atheist underground rapper. I highly suggest him.), And CCR

Just some info: Main Stream Rap and Hip-Hop are for clubs, Whereas Underground Rap actually has meaning to its lyrics
My cousins are really into ska. I remember this one song they used to play when we were kids. Something about Bumble Bee Tuna. It was entertaining. I dont know much about the genre, but I do enjoy the song The World Is New by Save Ferris.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service