After reading Jared Lardo's discussion I thought I would begin one with the opposite premise, movies and tv shows that were ruined by story lines relating to belief in god, or the supernatural. Or predestination - I do not believe in fate, destiny, grand plan, or any of that crap.

Note, if I know going in, that it's about the supernatural I don't have a problem with it like with Lost.

** Potential Spoiler alert for Battlestar Galactica and I Am Legend ** >>

An example is the recent TV show Battlestar Galactica, which I got hooked on. Then they completely ruined the entire series with finale where everything was god's plan.

The movie I am Legend with Will Smith. Basic message I got: Science caused the problem, god will save. Yes I know Will Smith's character Neville, discovered the cure but that would have been useless if god hadn't sent Anna to meet him and escape to the colony.

I recently watched the first episode of Flash Forward. I got a bad feeling about this one. Whether it's "god is punishing us" or future is set and can't be changed BS.

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOVE Soylent Green. Disturbing to say the least.
You're eating Gumby!
Mmmm, Gumby and Pokey!
It was my understanding that the "god" concept in Battlestar Galactica was simply the order of the data left behind from the previous creation of Cylons... and given that it's a program, it will repeatedly reset itself and try again, with no alterations. Hence why everything keeps happening again.
Well that was certainly not my interpretation based on the series finale. Kara Thrace being some kind of angel. And the Number 6 that communicated to Baltar in his head also being some kind of angel directing him.

But to each his own.
I had the same frustration with House.

Whenever there is an episode of him healing a patient who is New Age or religious, he basically proves them to be illogical and stupid but then they go like "don't you think that so-so was too much of a coincidence?" and House shuts up because he thinks they made a good point. It pisses me off.
That's what I'm talking about. I would love to see, just after they say "don't you think that so-so was too much of a coincidence?" and James Randi walks into the scene and say poppycock or something.
I would definitely watch if James Randi did a walk-on.
I L'dMAO... Just privately. And I shared it with my husband and nephew that are not on A|N.
I've talked to a lot of people who hated the end of BSG, because of the religious aspects. Whatever other problems you might have with the god issue, it certainly didn't come "out of nowhere" - it was developed from the very first episode. Balthar was dealing with the Six in his head telling him he was chosen by god and so on. By the end of the series, the way they had defined god was so loose that there was practically nothing to be offended about - the cylon god ended up being only slightly better defined than "The Force". Personally, as a storytelling element, I think it worked. The show was about people and how we interact with each other, mythology and adversity, not about the science. Just because a show is set in space doesn't mean its ABOUT space.

I am still mad about the end of the Rama series by Arthur C Clarke though. 2000 pages of absolutely superb "hard" sci-fi and then.... Godditit. I refuse to read it all over again to see if it was actually a metaphor.
"it was developed from the very first episode. Balthar was dealing with the Six in his head telling him he was chosen by god and so on."

Ok maybe not completely out of know where, but it was played up more: was he insane or did he have an implant or was he actually a cylon? Nope, just a pawn of god.

"The show was about people and how we interact with each other, mythology and adversity, not about the science. Just because a show is set in space doesn't mean its ABOUT space."

I agree. I guess I just don't like messages of goddidit. In fact because god did it, to me it diminishes role, the struggle, and the accomplishments of those people. It's now less of a story about their actions and decisions it's a story of pawns.

And don't mock the Force, Darth Vader would kick their toaster asses :)
I guess it's two different things that bother me.

1. God messages. Another factor I'm sure is what time of my life I saw or read the movie/story. Things I see recently I'm much more attuned to those messages.

2. And story lines that seem out of place of expected theme.

I like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and my absolute no-question about it favorite story - The Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. But they are pretty much stayed within theme.

Take Raiders of the Lost Ark, loved the movie (although I did first see it many years ago), even with the biblical powers of the Ark of the Convenient and later the Holy Grail. The theme of the movies is about ancient mystical artifacts and what not. Although the scene of pulling out the heart and the victim is still alive was a 'yea, whatever' moment. But the 4th movie added aliens - I think it just jumped the shark.

But even with the biblical artifacts I don't a god has a plan message. Yes there is the scene where Connery tells Indy to forget the Grail and basically save himself. But you certainly don't need god to take that action.

Maybe I am too anal. Actually I think I'm turning into my dad.

But this is my discussion and I can bitch if I want to. :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service