After reading Jared Lardo's discussion I thought I would begin one with the opposite premise, movies and tv shows that were ruined by story lines relating to belief in god, or the supernatural. Or predestination - I do not believe in fate, destiny, grand plan, or any of that crap.

Note, if I know going in, that it's about the supernatural I don't have a problem with it like with Lost.

** Potential Spoiler alert for Battlestar Galactica and I Am Legend ** >>

An example is the recent TV show Battlestar Galactica, which I got hooked on. Then they completely ruined the entire series with finale where everything was god's plan.

The movie I am Legend with Will Smith. Basic message I got: Science caused the problem, god will save. Yes I know Will Smith's character Neville, discovered the cure but that would have been useless if god hadn't sent Anna to meet him and escape to the colony.

I recently watched the first episode of Flash Forward. I got a bad feeling about this one. Whether it's "god is punishing us" or future is set and can't be changed BS.

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Southland Tales? I really enjoyed that! I didn't really notice it was jesus though, I was too busy going "Ok, what the HELL just happened?" as they closed the causal loop in the most thoroughly bizarre way (at least, I THINK that's what happened.)
Thats another one that I don't really mind, because the subtext of the rest of the film is all about religious stuff - especially the weird sisters. *shudder* I think jesus was more a triple-decker metaphor there, rather than a bizzare kind of stigmata.
Turn Back! Here Be Spoilers.

Battlestar Galactica... I know! That ending was so anti-climactic, in sharp contrast to how good the series had been.

One teevee series I liked for a while was Stargate. It cracked me up that the big bads, who had styled themselves as supreme beings, kept being exposed as parasites with an attitude problem.

A movie that wasn't necessarily ruined, but I found to be interpreted differently by believers and non-believers was Pan's Labyrinth. I and my atheist friend felt the main character died at the end. Believers felt she had disappeared into a fairy land.
I saw an episode of House where a girl was praying to get better, and House said something similar to this > "Well, he's the one who gave it to you in the first place".
Awesome!
I have to admit to rather liking Touched by an Angel. At least the 'God' in that actually sent people/angels out to do some good - and there was no 'hell', just a rather dishy angel of death.
I never watched it.
Thanks for posting that, I'd never seen it before. :)
I love Steve Martin's Leap of Faith (based on James Randi's expose of Peter Popoff - but the whole thing was completely compromised at the end by putting in what appeared to be a real miracle. Still a good movie, but a pity it had to be sold out.
Was the miracle attributed in any way to Popoff?
No, Popoff's name wasn't mentioned. The screenplay was a rip-off of Randi's book on Popoff, but Randi was never paid a cent.
But was their a 'Poop-off' character?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Pat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion The Answer to Problems in Iraq? (I don't think so!)
2 minutes ago
William Sams shared their photo on Facebook
27 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion The Answer to Problems in Iraq? (I don't think so!)
31 minutes ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
36 minutes ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion Nonbeliever's equivalent of wearing a cross
42 minutes ago
William Sams commented on William Sams's video
47 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K updated their profile
47 minutes ago
William Sams shared their video on Facebook
48 minutes ago
John Aultman liked Christine's discussion Praise Be Unto He........
53 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K liked Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
56 minutes ago
KIMBERLY K posted a status
"Thanks for the welcome comments. I came to reasoning after the silence of sexual assault and then reading the famous silly book. Now unlearn"
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion Price increase without notice
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service