After reading Jared Lardo's discussion I thought I would begin one with the opposite premise, movies and tv shows that were ruined by story lines relating to belief in god, or the supernatural. Or predestination - I do not believe in fate, destiny, grand plan, or any of that crap.

Note, if I know going in, that it's about the supernatural I don't have a problem with it like with Lost.

** Potential Spoiler alert for Battlestar Galactica and I Am Legend ** >>

An example is the recent TV show Battlestar Galactica, which I got hooked on. Then they completely ruined the entire series with finale where everything was god's plan.

The movie I am Legend with Will Smith. Basic message I got: Science caused the problem, god will save. Yes I know Will Smith's character Neville, discovered the cure but that would have been useless if god hadn't sent Anna to meet him and escape to the colony.

I recently watched the first episode of Flash Forward. I got a bad feeling about this one. Whether it's "god is punishing us" or future is set and can't be changed BS.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"A handful of talented stand-up comedians ruin their acts with cringe-worthy injections of such delusion."

Just curious, could you name a couple?

"Oh and allow Sci-Fi, son; 1977's long gone." Sorry I don't follow
Steve Harvey ("atheists are idiots"), Cedric, Kevin Hart, Dennis Leary...

Come to think of it, I have yet to see an anti-religion or anti-god stand-up act performed by an African-American.

If religious comedians were restricted to the 'talent' and even fame of someone like the evangelical Dane Cook, then I wouldn't be too annoyed.

"Oh and allow Sci-Fi, son; 1977's long gone." Sorry I don't follow

Star Wars? Sorry; first thing that popped into my head. Not a fan of the genre(s)(?).
"Steve Harvey" oh yea, I guess I stopped thinking him as a comedian.
Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, has anyone seen the pilot for Caprica? I watched it with my husband last week, and although we are both atheists, we had very different opinions about it. Since it's so new I don't want to say anything more and spoil it for anyone, but I am curious to know if anyone plans to watch it once the series starts in January.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service