I was raised Mormon. That's a religion that dictates just about every aspect of the followers' lives. Most of my social life was constructed around the church. I still have a lot of friends there and went to the activities for the college students. I assume they all noticed that I don't go to church anymore, but they never brought it up. I  was president of the SSA this spring and I'm pretty sure they had no idea. I don't want to stop hanging out with the Mormon student group because the couple in charge has helped me out a lot this semester. They're good friends regardless of the religion. I'm still scared to come out to them, even though I was completely comfortable representing the SSA to school officials and campus ministers. That might be because my church friends have known me as a faithful Mormon for years and everyone else is meeting me for the first time. It's as scary to come out to them as it was to my parents.

Has anyone else tried to be an active advocate of atheism and remain at least friendly with their religious community at the same time? It's a strange situation to be in

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me. Although I don't plan to make a career out of it, teaching is something that I realized I enjoyed.

In fact, I actually was able to teach the way I wanted to for the past year because I also held a job at a tutoring center teaching English and math and also as a private violin teacher for a family friend's child. 

Thank you for your kind wishes.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service