Sometimes people say things that are so dumb that you just need to share. What is the craziest, most ignorant, awful, etc. thing you have ever heard a theist or deist or anyone else say regarding religion?

I'll share first. Today I was talking with a Christian on Experience Project. They were asking me what I believed and whatnot, as Christians tend to do when they discover I am an atheist. I told her I believed the Bible was not true, and was demonstrably false. She asked for an example, so I started with the obvious: Genesis says the Earth is older than the sun, and every other celestial body in the universe. This is obviously false. Her response, "Well I won't argue with you but I believe that whatever the Bible says is true."

I thought maybe she was mistaken about what the Bible said, so to clarify I asked, "So you actually believe that the Earth, plant life, and the atmosphere are all older than the sun and all the other stars?"

Her response, "If the Bible says so then yes." 

At that point I just said okay and stopped the conversation. There is nothing that can be said to that level of irrational thinking. 

Tags: Christian, crazy, false, ignorant, logic, stupid

Views: 626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "dumbness" of remarks by xians depends partly on the source.

For instance, I expect high school teachers to be a little bit learned.

About ten years ago I met a retired history teacher and looked forward to some discussion with her.

Before we had any time to chat, she told me that the people whose names are on the buybull's various books were secretaries who wrote what her god dictated.

That ended my wanting to ask her anything that would require some thinking. Until she died several years later she seemed okay with my saying only "Hi" when we happened to meet.

My nomination for the dumbest comment about religion ever (and I've heard some doozies) is Ken Ham's recent declaration that if we ever do confirm that there are extra-terrestrial life forms, they're all going to hell.

For the dumbest comment by a religionist about religion, that comment by Ham gets my vote.

if we ever do confirm that there are extra-terrestrial life forms, they're all going to hell.

Not dumb really ...

But actually very funny.  With the right timing - impressive and awe-inspiring on the first half.  So you're thinking "oh wow!"  and trying to imagine these incredible aliens.  Then the dogmatic snarl "they're all going to hell". 

Add to that the fact that these same aliens are sophisticated enough to traverse interstellar space to reach us.  If they can do THAT, do you suppose they're going to be frightened by some unproven afterlife?

Personally, I'm dubious!

Well, learnin' is of the Dev'l, after all.  They had to learn quite a bit to be able to build those space ships.

I work with intellectually disabled adults and children. So many of my clients' parents (overwhelmingly catholic) tell me god is punishing them for an unknown wrong they committed in the past. I want to tell them, "your imaginary god isn't merciful, he's a cruel piss ant despot. Your god only exists in your uneducated little head!" But, I can't, unless I want early, forced retirement.

I'd just state in a startled fashion 

"I didn't know you were Hindus!" , might squeak by with that one! lol

One thing Richard Dawkins said, completely went thunk for me.   He said something like "with all the incredible hugeness of the universe, the idea that human beings could be important to a divinity doesn't make any sense". 

I thought - but the human beings are intelligent and conscious!  What is any amount of gas and rock and dust and radiation, to that???  The development of thinking minds and consciousness is a kind of transcendence arising in the universe, besides which any hugeness of gas and dust pales.

And we don't know if there's any other intelligent life in the universe.  Intelligent life is rare in the universe, but just how rare, we don't know.

And some version of a multiverse seems likely ...  If so, OUR kind of universe, where intelligent life can arise, may be VERY VERY rare in the multiverse

@Laura, "The development of thinking minds and consciousness is a kind of transcendence arising in the universe, besides which any hugeness of gas and dust pales."

Amen. Life is miraculous, and thinking life is doubly miraculous. Figuratively speaking, of course. 

Now, can we get rid of this "The Bible says that Pi = 3 crap," while we're at it?

One dumb thing I have heard (and keep on hearing) by Christians is that slavery in the bible was really just "indentured servitude." Really? I'm glad to know this because now I understand why the bible says not to beat the slaves too much, and not to beat them to death.

Our dear Christians are getting slavery confused with a man working for a girl's father for a time in order  to marry her. This type of agreement is not slavery.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service