Sometimes people say things that are so dumb that you just need to share. What is the craziest, most ignorant, awful, etc. thing you have ever heard a theist or deist or anyone else say regarding religion?

I'll share first. Today I was talking with a Christian on Experience Project. They were asking me what I believed and whatnot, as Christians tend to do when they discover I am an atheist. I told her I believed the Bible was not true, and was demonstrably false. She asked for an example, so I started with the obvious: Genesis says the Earth is older than the sun, and every other celestial body in the universe. This is obviously false. Her response, "Well I won't argue with you but I believe that whatever the Bible says is true."

I thought maybe she was mistaken about what the Bible said, so to clarify I asked, "So you actually believe that the Earth, plant life, and the atmosphere are all older than the sun and all the other stars?"

Her response, "If the Bible says so then yes." 

At that point I just said okay and stopped the conversation. There is nothing that can be said to that level of irrational thinking. 

Tags: Christian, crazy, false, ignorant, logic, stupid

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am tired of living in a world where we stupidly sit by and allow people to pretend to have the moral high ground when they are advocating and making excuses for moral absurdities and atrocities.
-- Matt Dillahunty, host of "The Atheist Experience"

I want Matt to speak for himself. He could have said

"I am tired of living in a world where I stupidly sit by and...."

I hate that too. I used to say that myself, just parrotting what apologists said. But there are such obvious examples of Isrealites just marching into any city they want, destroying it, and keeping the survivors as slaves. 

Not to mention that the -later translations- provide 'servants' as the defined people in question... The old 'official texts' clearly state that the same people are 'slaves'.

Don't forget! If you're a x-ian in the early days, you can beat your SLAVE as severely as you want! Your just in trouble if it takes him less than 3 days to die from the resulting wounds! 

-Yet another thing xians conveniently 'forget' or 'edit for posterity'. While at the same time claiming that their buy-a-bull is 'absolute' lol

Good comment though, I agree! Also don't forget 'Mr. Lot's' involvement... He didn't only commit incest, but he basically gave his own daughters away as sex-slaves to an angry mob so that he'd be left alone. The buy-a-bull has many 'wonderful examples' of xian heroes lol

Don't forget the other contradictions! 

'Man and woman were made at the same time', 'woman was made from man' (contradiction #1)

'Plants existed before man', then 'man existed to cultivate the plants into existence' (contradiction #2)

If people argue as the random lady did... Their own religion constantly divides by zero! lol

Craziest thing I've ever heard was "If god doesn't exist, how did you come to be?"

I started with "When a man and a woman reaaaally love each other...." And explained reproduction in detail. I felt obligated, to say the least.

Good post! This was fun haha

Oh! Actually even better (to add to this) I was actually approached with:

"So god doesn't exist, huh? Then what keeps Antarctica from drifting off into space?!" (and not in a joking tone...)

....I was so dumbfounded I didn't bother correcting this poor fool.

Cory, I think I would have lowered myself and said something to the effect that, obviously, their brain hasn't evolved yet... Lol.
I would have been dumbfounded though also.

I think that would've heightened you, personally :D

But yeah.... I'd have added '...but you don't believe in evolution, so I guess you'll just stay stupid! So sorry about that, maybe faith in science would've saved you.' haha

People..... are pretty dumb, largely lol We pride ourselves, but for the most part, human advancement in the last 400-500 years has been the work of the 10% for the benefit of the 90%, scientifically speaking... Pretty sad for the 'smartest mammal' haha

All true, Cory!

This statement, heard by countless women over the centuries, and I heard it told to my mother, grandmother and I heard it, I heard it from my students in my college classrooms "When you are being beaten, you are living your life in imitation of the crucified christ, of all women, you are most blessed. Rejoice in your crucifixion."

I have overcome those lies, big time. What gets me down is when a woman comes to me now and asks if she really has to submit to beatings. 

Hmm, are we counting YouTube comments?  You can find vile and stupid statements of any flavor you would like, in those.

In person, most of what I've encountered is more of the creationist flavor, rather than the simply theistic/deistic.  Any of the most idiotic things you've ever heard from Kent or Eric Hovind, I've heard parroted by assorted believers.  I seem to trigger a lot of religious discussions, while out and about.

The big one that's jumping out at me right now, as I try to remember a few, is the classic, "If humans came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?"  Some people use that statement for something other than mocking creationists, apparently.

If mankind was created from the ground, why is there still dirt?

Some people just don't understand that monkey argument do they?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service