Just wondering....   more than 30,000 members.  At most, I am guessing 20 or 30 or so post discussions or get involved in discussion.  Not that I keep track.

That's the size of a mega-church.  Sorry for the analogy.  It's about the size of the town where I grew up.  Also not a good analogy, that town was a sorry excuse for an over-sized septic tank.    Let's just say it's a lot of people.

Anyway, I wonder what happens for the folks who sign on and don't post.  I hope this site is useful for them.  I suppose if 30,000 people were all posting and discussing it would be kind of overwhelming.  Maybe page-views generate some funding for the site?

I also wonder about people who used to be very active, then....   poof!  vanished!  There are a bunch of them.  Did they get bored?  Found Jesus?  Get busy and no longer had time?  Found peace with being atheist, the need was met, move on?

Just speculating.  I sometimes welcome new members hoping to inspire involvement, and others do a lot more of that than I do.

Tags: Atheist Nexus, members, membership, past members, silent members

Views: 1020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love my partner and am so grateful.... but so wish there was that friend who I feel like we swim in the same waters.... Maybe thats part of being here, as a group, Nexus is a good friend. I mean that in the best way.
Your friend sounds like me Booklover. Especially the swearing. I'm not sure why I do it or when I started. I've been working on breaking myself of it. It isn't necessary and I frown on it from men and younger people.

I'm told that Hillary Clinton swears to the extreme, so I wouldn't worry about it. This is only an issue when it becomes an embarassment.

Wow! Now I have even more respect for her!

Most got bored seeing my name and yours all the time and decided to e-hibernate for a while.

Sentient, this discussion suggests one on something like "How did leaving religion change your life?" or "How did visiting A/N help you adapt to non-belief?"

Great idea! Life is very different having left religion and family and friends behind as I took a road less traveled. The change occurred for me 40 years ago July 1, 1974 when I signed the papers for this house, a condemned building and thicket of a back yard. The children and I threw out all the rule"s by which we had been living and started creating rules that all four of could agree to. I damned my god, religion, and all those who wanted me to remain the docile, obedient wife and daughter I had been. Family was one of the biggest hurdles I encountered, and my old church friends prayed for me and told me about their prayers.

What changed for me after leaving my heritage behind was to take full responsibility for the children's and my safety. We divided up the chores of housekeeping, using a flexible method of job assignment, we took communication classes and life skills training. Anyone could call a family meeting if he or she was needing to change a routine or to get a new job responsibility. We lived by natural consequences, i.e. if the one responsible for the garbage did not do his or her job, the garbage piled up until and unless someone was willing to trade job. Same with all the other tasks. 

We no longer celebrated Christmas, Easter or had church friends. We created new mileposts to replace the old traditions. Birthdays became a big deal, as did the four seasons of the year and the Wheel of the Year. Each summer we decided how we wanted to use our time off from school and work. We saved up money for adventures, i.e. Yellowstone, Glacier, Pacific Ocean, Canada. 

During the first few years, I worked full time at minimum wage jobs, went to school full time, and depended on the kids to be responsible for their own behaviors. As my training progressed, I was able to get better paying jobs. They became old enough to get jobs and they had more money for clothes and things they needed and wanted. 

There came a time when I knew the kids wanted to spend time with their friends and we set up an experiment. All three went away for a week to be with friends and I was alone. We wanted o see how I would do. They were gone three or four days and came back to check on me and I was as happy as when they were with me. I read books, went out to lunch, did some photography and loved the solitude. They then left, assured I was dong great. We all began to learn how to transition into the next developmental period of our lives. 

All four of us learned how to be independent, active, self-sufficient, and celebrate our times together. 

Had I continued as a christian, I don't think I would have learned any of these things and my three kids may not have either. Quite frankly, I like my independence and so do the kids. They matured into fine mentally healthy adults. I don't know if they could have had remained in an authoritarian home. 

The skills I learned had more to do with behavioral sciences and nothing to do with doctrine and dogma. In fact, went against the dictates of my church and family. 

I had an older account, I was very active on it for a bit, then lost my log in info. Stayed off for a bit, now I'm back. 

Saying you name is like blowing out candles on a birthday cake when you're elderly. Takes two breaths.

I have not seen your name before, that I remember. I am glad you are back and, with time, I will be able to pronounce and spell your name. I like James' comment about two breaths. 

Lol so I really just hate my real name, but V is fine with me.

I really just hate my real name, but V is fine with me
How about Vvvvvvvvvvv Vvvvvvvvvvvvv-Vvvvvvvv?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service