Just wondering....   more than 30,000 members.  At most, I am guessing 20 or 30 or so post discussions or get involved in discussion.  Not that I keep track.

That's the size of a mega-church.  Sorry for the analogy.  It's about the size of the town where I grew up.  Also not a good analogy, that town was a sorry excuse for an over-sized septic tank.    Let's just say it's a lot of people.

Anyway, I wonder what happens for the folks who sign on and don't post.  I hope this site is useful for them.  I suppose if 30,000 people were all posting and discussing it would be kind of overwhelming.  Maybe page-views generate some funding for the site?

I also wonder about people who used to be very active, then....   poof!  vanished!  There are a bunch of them.  Did they get bored?  Found Jesus?  Get busy and no longer had time?  Found peace with being atheist, the need was met, move on?

Just speculating.  I sometimes welcome new members hoping to inspire involvement, and others do a lot more of that than I do.

Tags: Atheist Nexus, members, membership, past members, silent members

Views: 1031

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Grinning Cat, I like your no cell phone conversation cartoon. It is a keeper. 

Daniel, I am grateful you had your cell phone on you when you collapsed. 

Joan, that's a good point and thank you.  Cell phones do have a role.  Everyone has a different level of comfort with them too, as with anything else.  For emergencies, they are a real tech-send.  Not a god send of course.

Sentient  I am glad  you feel that way..........I would be lost without  my cell phone, or in my case a smart phone...It wakes me up in the morning,gives me the daily  news  and  weather  report....It keeps  me  up to date  on  stock quotes, I can even do  trades  on my phone..... I can deposit  checks  with my phone, I use my phone  for GPS  when I am on the road...It recommends good  contractors  as well as restaurants ,I can take  fabulous  pictures  with it.  Bottom line  It is  a necessity  for me  and not just a convenience....And  yes,  it is without a doubt,  a life saver  in an emergency......    

Patricia, I agree that you have educated yourself quite well.

I don't like talking on the phone either.  I prefer face to face, but when I want to express myself well, I much prefer e-mail.

I have only a cell phone because I can't afford to pay for both, and I never use it to chat.

Patricia, I like to take my time in composing email also, but tend to get lazy and often don't take as much time as I should.

I try to remember to read what I write over once before posting it, and then read it a time or two again after posting.  I still sometimes find spelling and grammar mistakes on the third reading, as well as things I wish I had said better.

The thing I wrote that took the most time (10 or 20 hours), was the letter to all my family members, where I came-out as an atheist and gave them some of the logical, rational, and scientific reasons why.

I've been wanting to write them another, with some more of the hundreds of reasons Mormonism is false and detrimental.  I've been procrastinating because it will probably take another 10 or 20 hours.

Hi Spud......I do hope  your  family  appreciates  the time and trouble  you spent   writing  to them in detail  about  coming  out   as an Atheist.....Not many  would  do that  and I commend  you...I like  to think that  our  family  loves  us  unconditionally,  but that is not  always  the case...  So  good luck, just remember  it is their  loss if they  reject you...You  always  have us as your family.....

Thanks Free.

Patricia,  you sure  could have  fooled  me.....You  write  with  passion and complete  candor and  you  seem quite knowledgeable ...Sounds  to me  you  are  a perfect  example  of  a self  educated  woman...Maybe  being a member  of A/N has  inspired  you.....Thanks  for getting  my  juices  flowing, I hope  you were  not  offended , I can be  very  direct....I love  a good debate, so thanks....

A/N is like many sites l find interesting. With the added benefit of having friends here.
Many days I'll find endless topics that interest me. Other days, not so many. It works out well for me. Some days I'm so busy with life I don't have time to check in. Other days l have all the time in the world.

I usually check the site a few times a week but don't often reply. I think for me it's like my phone aversion issue. It's not that I don't like to engage with other people, but for reasons probably only understood by a psychologist, I prefer face to face conversations. Talking on the phone or like this in a forum is just a little off-putting for me. I keep telling myself I'm going to engage more, but then fall back to old habits.

As far as my spouse goes, she sees herself as agnostic and isn't nearly as involved as I am on issues surrounding religion vs atheism. She has other issues like breast cancer awareness that she is very involved in, so the whole spectrum of religion / no religion debates are more of sideline concern for her.

I like the information I get on Atheist Nexus, but mostly I'm here for people to talk to.

I'm very picky about who I want to talk to.  I just will not talk to anyone that is religious, including my family members.  If a person believes other kinds of woo and talks about it too much, I don't care to talk to them either.  

That means I have no face-face conversations with anyone except my brief visits to my dental hygienist, my doctors, and a few people that pass my garden and comment on it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Kacie Tsao posted a blog post
1 minute ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Le Pape: Ma vie masturbatoire in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
18 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Marie Walewska's discussion Egyptian TV Host Kicks Guest Out of Studio for Expressing Controversial Ideas on Religion in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
55 minutes ago
Luara replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Pat's discussion Catholic Church Welcomes LGBTQI - NAW! Just Kidding, Suckers. We Still Loathe You! in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
2 hours ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
2 hours ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
2 hours ago
Lemual Poot posted a photo
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Kacie Tsao commented on Kacie Tsao's blog post Religion is somehow different… (a meandering ramble about linguistics, atheism, and weird cognitive biases)
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service