Just wondering....   more than 30,000 members.  At most, I am guessing 20 or 30 or so post discussions or get involved in discussion.  Not that I keep track.

That's the size of a mega-church.  Sorry for the analogy.  It's about the size of the town where I grew up.  Also not a good analogy, that town was a sorry excuse for an over-sized septic tank.    Let's just say it's a lot of people.

Anyway, I wonder what happens for the folks who sign on and don't post.  I hope this site is useful for them.  I suppose if 30,000 people were all posting and discussing it would be kind of overwhelming.  Maybe page-views generate some funding for the site?

I also wonder about people who used to be very active, then....   poof!  vanished!  There are a bunch of them.  Did they get bored?  Found Jesus?  Get busy and no longer had time?  Found peace with being atheist, the need was met, move on?

Just speculating.  I sometimes welcome new members hoping to inspire involvement, and others do a lot more of that than I do.

Tags: Atheist Nexus, members, membership, past members, silent members

Views: 981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Forgot to mention......I don't actually like to talk.

I mess up words, twist sentences, & freeze up in many instances, which began with the fibromyalgia diagnosis.

In recent years, I have developed a throat issue which has been checked many times to no avail, but I will lose my voice & get a very sore throat if I talk much. Because of it, I will avoid talking when possible. I'm sure it has something to do with the dryness problem after chemo & 5 years of pills. 

I hate the phone with a passion, & avoid that too whenever I can, & NEVER use it just to 'chat'.   

I am the same way with the phone..I absolutely hate having to get on the phone. I'm probably one of the few people left in the country that doesn't own a cell phone.

Are you a breast cancer survivor? My wife is, and she developed hoshimoto's disease and had to have her thyroid removed. The thyroid is in the neck (sorry if you already know this) and the surgeon nicked, and partially paralyzed one of her vocal chords. She was also recently diagnosed with Myastenia Gravis with one of the symptoms being vocal function issues. She can talk, but as the day goes on her voice gets weaker, sometimes to the point of it being nothing more than a hoarse whisper (she sounds like she has laryngitis).

I hope you find out what you voice issue is. We've learned to keep insisting that the doctor keep looking until they figure out what the problem is.It took 2-1/2 years and about 20 doctor visits to the Myastenia Gravis diagnosis.

Yes, kicked breast cancer's ass 9 years ago.

I had a couple of really bad colds after I quit smoking 20 years ago which left me with a very sensitive throat.

After chemo & 5 years of Femara pills, my skin & mucus membranes have dried out something awful. This is why I think it has something to do with the throat thing, because I've been scoped & barium swallowed, etc.

I do have a cell phone but only use it to call taxis if needed when out. With our health issues, we also want to be able to call for help should the need arise. Other than that, I text with my kids or my neighbor when I look after their pets while they are away.

As for using the house phone, I state my business & get off it. I expect the same from anyone who calls, as I can't stand being tied to the phone for any reason, not just my throat. 

I hate the phone too.  I thought I was some sort of...  I don't know, Neanderthal? - but I am not talkative, I don't hear well, I like seeing the other person for their body language and I might be doing some non-conscious lip reading to enhance my bad hearing.  

I do have a cell phone,  Texting is good when it's hard to hear

We should start a phone haters group....hahaha!!! Glad to hear I'm not alone, even if I am the female of the species.

You're not alone! I know a few phone haters as well (a woman and a couple of men) who are fine with conversations in person. One friend says he'd prefer to drive an hour to meet someone face-to-face rather than have a social phone conversation! I don't mind using texts, instant messages, and email with them when we're not together.

My own preference is to hear someone's voice.

(Another possible aspect: text-based communication isn't as demanding of our sustained attention in the same way that a voice conversation is. You can take your time to reply.)

Grinning Cat, I like your no cell phone conversation cartoon. It is a keeper. 

Daniel, I am grateful you had your cell phone on you when you collapsed. 

Joan, that's a good point and thank you.  Cell phones do have a role.  Everyone has a different level of comfort with them too, as with anything else.  For emergencies, they are a real tech-send.  Not a god send of course.

Sentient  I am glad  you feel that way..........I would be lost without  my cell phone, or in my case a smart phone...It wakes me up in the morning,gives me the daily  news  and  weather  report....It keeps  me  up to date  on  stock quotes, I can even do  trades  on my phone..... I can deposit  checks  with my phone, I use my phone  for GPS  when I am on the road...It recommends good  contractors  as well as restaurants ,I can take  fabulous  pictures  with it.  Bottom line  It is  a necessity  for me  and not just a convenience....And  yes,  it is without a doubt,  a life saver  in an emergency......    

Patricia, I agree that you have educated yourself quite well.

I don't like talking on the phone either.  I prefer face to face, but when I want to express myself well, I much prefer e-mail.

I have only a cell phone because I can't afford to pay for both, and I never use it to chat.

Thanks Spud.

I like email much better as I can take my time to think of what & how to write, & at my own convenience. I sometimes take hours to finish an email because I'll leave it & come back several times until I feel it's saying what I want it to. Can't do that face to face.....I go through the ''I should have saids'', because I am not a quick thinker & then I have my fumbling word issues.

My husband is a retired phone company employee so he gets a lifetime concession for the home phone. Our cell phones are with the Seven/Eleven Speakout pay and talk plan, talk & text only, & is topped up once a year or when the funds get low. We can add data for $10 per month if we so choose, but we don't need it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service